ķķķķ ķķķ ķķ ͸ ͼ ͼ ͼ \ ͼ ͼ ķ ķ ķ ķ ͼ \ͼ ͸ ķ ķ ķ ķ ۺۺۺۺ ۺۺķۺۺ ͼͼͼͼ ͼͼ; ͼͼ Volume 3, Issue 3 The Journal of IceNET December 1993 Ŀ The Editor's Desk 1. From The Top 1@1 2. Letters To The Editors Introduction 2@7653 Feature Articles 3. Is IceNET In Danger Of Being Absorbed By FIDOnet 1@5462 4. How To Avoid Burnout 1@9680 Technical 5. The Odd Modem 1@9661 WWIV Specific 6. New Sysop Help Line 1@4707 Hardware 7. Building a Personal Computer System 1@6754 Software 8.Programming In C++ 1@8273 Light Bytes 9. Silly Strings 1@9661 10.SysGods: Sysops With An Attitude 2@7653 T H E E D I T O R ' S D E S K Ŀ From The Top Jim 1@1 IceNEWS is back ! I hope you enjoy this issue as I believe it's just the first of what will be a very good electronic journal publication. There's a newfound enthusiasm within the people now helping prepare IceNEWS. I'd like to give them a hearty thanks and congratulations for getting this issue published. I feel the new team will continue to grow and develop and will become a yet another gem in the string of IceNET Innovations you've come to expect. With great pleasure, and as Editor-in-Chief (who does nothing :)), I bring you the new and improved IceNEWS. Read, and enjoy! Jim 1@1 IceNEWS Editor-In-Chief and Publisher Ŀ Letters To The Editors Introduction Deacon Blues 2@7653 As this month's Managing Editor of the newly restructured IceNEWS, I would like to announce the arrival of a new monthly feature to the publication, one that has been long overdue. IceNEWS Letters To The Editors will now appear in each new issue of IceNEWS as a service from the editors to the readers. As the network that it serves has grown, so, too, has IceNEWS. Gone are the days when only one or two people were responsible for producing IceNEWS as editors. This new restructuring effort has added many more dedicated and energetic people into editing and writing capacities for IceNEWS, thereby (hopefully) broadening the scope of the publication while maintaining the highest overall quality in every respect. With the addition of new features, the opportunity for input from our readers also broadens as there will be more for you to comment on. When the new editors of IceNEWS and others who also wished to be a part of the publication got together and began the rebuilding of the publication, one of the first questions we asked ourselves was "How can we open up IceNEWS more to the readers, the people we're supposed to be publishing this for in the first place?" One of the first suggestions was one of the most simple, basic ideas one can think of, yet so simple that somehow it had never been implemented before in the history of the publication. One that appears in almost every other type of publication, from the largest newspaper or magazine to the smallest school newsletter. A Letters To The Editors section. At IceNEWS, we want to know what you think about what we publish. As the editors, it is our job to put forward the best possible product to serve the network and the people who read it. We need to know from you if you think we're doing or not doing our jobs. Did you enjoy the issue? What did you like? What did you dislike? Why? What would you like to see more of? Less of? These are things we need to know from you, the readers, to keep us on our toes and to help us produce the types of issues you'd like to read. Please address your responses or questions to: IceNEWS Letters To The Editors c/o Jim, 1@1 Editor-In-Chief, IceNEWS As this is the first installment of this new continuing feature, we have no actual letters from readers to print here for this issue. However, we're counting on you to change that for us. Please take the time to write us regarding your feelings on IceNEWS, good or bad. We want to hear what you have to say. We need to hear what you have to say. Respectfully yours, Deacon Blues, 2@7653 Managing Editor for IceNEWS - Volume 3 Issue 3 - December 1993 F E A T U R E A R T I C L E S Ŀ Is IceNET in danger of being absorbed by FIDOnet Jessica Lovecraft 1@5462 With the upcoming release of WWIV4.23 many a SysOp have voiced concern that IceNET in it's current state may be assimilated inside FIDOnet. I think it's an unwarranted fear mostly found in people who are wary of change. I've been involved with IceNET for a while now. I've seen the network grow, change and adapt. In it's present format it has become quite viable. Perhaps it's not as well spread outside North America as FIDOnet, or Internet/Usenet, however IceNET continues to grow and expand. With the multi-language addition it will most certainly attract new systems from other areas world wide. What has made WWIV software popular among those who use it is it's user friendly interface. With a minimum of computer literacy, most have been able to run a netted WWIV BBS. Such is not the case with FIDOnet compatible BBS software. In the past year we have seen features such as multi-network capability. This has brought to life numerous WWIV based networks, some which are bound to expand, but most are nothing more then local networks who's well-being is entirely dependent on one individual the N.C. Most of these smaller nets come and go without affecting IceNET. As AC in WWIVnet and IceNET for the 514 area, I've noticed recently that most of the BBSes that have had longevity with WWIVnet also carry either WWIVlink , IceNET as well as local networks. We've had FIDOnet in the 514 area code for as long as I can remember. Twice a local system had decided to gate subs between FIDO and WWIV. Twice it was dropped due to the lack of interest from the majority of the sysops in both networks. Making WWIV software compatible with FIDOnet will permit those who already gate subs or run a dual system to continue to do so. Those who are like myself who like things quick and dirty and had been thinking FIDO will take the leap, but for most it will be nothing more then an extra feature they have the option to use. The philosophy behind both networks is totally different from both the standpoint of the sysop and also that of the users. We can all enjoy the anonymity that WWIV provides us. This is extremely important to those who are part of visible and not so visible minorities. As a female pagan, I have the opportunity to discuss with others all over without the fear of being persecuted for my beliefs in my daily life. FIDOnet does not have the same standards. For instance it is common practice to send files via the network, through automatic request. IceNET is a more cost conscious network, where Sysops are concerned about the extra cost of having routing information imbedded in the messages. Even the structure of both networks is different. My understanding is that it is easier to weed out bad apples in IceNET, and keep some control over the systems that are in the network. Have you tried moderating a heavy traffic FIDOnet conference? Assimilated inside FIDOnet? In some people's dreams only. Those who have made the network what it is today will not go FIDO tomorrow. If they had wished to do so, they would have left long ago. Jessica Lovecraft 1@5462 Ŀ How To Avoid Burnout Chris 1@9680 One of the most fulfilling hobbies I have ever been involved in has been BBS communications. And, the most gratifying part of modem communication has been using bulletin board systems to express my thoughts and ideas. One can almost completely express themselves through this wonderful avenue. But, if you are like me, there comes a time when you put so much into the medium, as a sysop, that you loose yourself and other means of enjoyment from what I call BBS BURNOUT! This is what I am going to address in this article. To define burnout I would be best to describe it in practical terms. Have you ever put yourself into something so much and dedicated yourself so wholly to something that it seemed to get old? Have you ever seemed to grow tired by the very thought of the same thing over and over? Have you ever spent so much time on something that it caused a stress point to the effect that you felt like just tossing in the towel? How about this? Have you ever felt that your bbs takes too much of your time? That it seems to be so addicting that you just can't leave it alone? Your bbs seems to cause undo stress because of, perhaps, users that just don't understand how you put your all into the bbs but yet they want you, and even demand you to give them instant action? These are just some of the symptoms of BBS BURNOUT! Now how does one handle this situation. Well, that is the point of the whole matter isn't it. I personally got so burned out that I announced a premature closing of my bbs. I was so tired of it all that I was about to shut it down for good. But being as addicted as the rest of us sysops, I decided that was not the thing to do. I needed to learn how to handle and control my love for the bbs and, yet, still keep my sanity and my other life's priorities in line. Here are some things I learned on this matter that I hope will help you to never come to the point of burnout, or to help get you through the point of burnout. First, look at your priorities. If you don't have any, think of some of these. Which is more important to you. How about your family? How about your time to get alone by yourself? How about he priority of relationships outside the bbs life? What about your means of earning a living? Indeed these should be close to the top of your priority list. One needs to set priorities in their life if they are to survive. I have a list that I thought you may like to see. This is my personal list that, if only I would adhere to, I would be a lot better off. 1. My family. Providing for their care and giving them not only my financial benefits but my time, quality time, and providing advise and love and just being there when needed? If this is lacking, it could be most miserable for you. 2. My job. Where do the bucks come from? Sometimes a job can provide a way of escape from the same old same old if you know what i mean. 3. My personal time alone. Now this really is a need in everyone's life you know. We all need time to collect our thoughts and to think the day through. To evaluate our life and see where we have come from and to where we are going. 4. My bbs. This is the last of my priorities. Now sometimes this tends to get on the top of the list, but when it does, I find that is when burnout becomes a problem. Yes, your bbs is an important thing, but is it more important than the other priorities?... Now I am not saying that these are all my priorities, but they are some of the major ones. How about you? Have you set priorities in your own personal life? If not, I would suggest that you think your priorities over and set up a list of importance. Second, after you have set your priorities, consider how you react to your bbs. Is it almost an obsessive thing to you? Can you leave it for a day without feeling that you are missing something. DO YOU CONTROL YOUR BBS OR DOES YOUR BBS CONTROL YOU? That is the root of the thing isn't it? We all need to learn that a bbs will survive us say, leaving for a vacation or just getting away for a day. It will operate fine even if we don't log on every hour to check our mail or to check who has logged on. We need to learn that we MUST put it aside at times. If we don't, there may come a time we may just leave it for good. The thing I want us to learn here is that we must be able to control all extra things in our lives if we are to maintain our sanity or our stress levels. Too much of anything is not good. I guess the word here is MODERATION. Don't be obsessive about the bbs. Walk away at times. Not that I think we should abandon it altogether, but just realize it will still be there when we get back to it. There are a few things we could do that will give us that time away. How about a very close friend or relative that will share the sysop responsibilities with you? I have learned that having another person take some of the responsibility does wonders for my out look of the bbs. A one person show, sometimes, is not the best way to go. Delegate some duties to others. There are those who would be very happy to assist... Just make sure they are people you can trust. Everyone has someone they can delegate to. If you are one of the rare ones who doesn't, train someone you like that is on your bbs. Get to know them. And try them out on different responsibilities to see how they handle them. Learn to cope with your stress. Live just one day at a time. Realize that you can't do it all in a day. Anything is good doesn't come over night. Don't worry about it so much. Worrying doesn't solve a thing, it only brings on more stress and eventual BURNOUT. Toss those things you worry about to other people you delegate to help you. Once you delegate learn that you still have to follow through on your helpers. Here is a little list on delegation which may help you, it has me. Identify the project. Identify who can deal with the project. Delegate that responsibility to someone you can trust to do it. Make sure they have the necessary materials to handle it. Follow through by asking how it is coming, if they are on top of it. Let it go and don't worry about it. Yes, delegation is a tremendous way to aid in lowering your stress factor. Try it! Anyway, I would rather see that us sysops try to control our own situations by setting priorities and learning how to delegate responsibilities than taking down our bbs's. So, in conclusion, do give in to BURNOUT! Prioritize, and delegate where you can. You will find these are some of the major keys to avoiding the giving up feeling and keeping your sanity. Hang in there, and let me know if I can be of further assistance Chris Nicholson, 1@9680 T E C H N I C A L Ŀ The Odd Modem Ima Moron 1@9661 Some months ago I received a free Racal Vadic 9632VP modem. The Racal 9632VP isn't listed in Modems.mdm and with Racal's unique service policy where they burn an eprom according to the customer's needs the modem created a unique setup problem for putting this modem to use. Definitions: anomaly; a quirk that is a deviation from the expected norm but does not render a device useless. TOS; Top Of Screen, the user data. For one whole day the old Racal operated flawlessly, then the eprom blew when a user changed the baud while online. BAM! the Racal came offline and I called Racal Milgo company for a price quote of $257.00 to repair or replace the modem. Good luck Racal, at that price I could buy a new US Robotics sportster. I caught a user friend of mine on the BBS and requested that he look at the modem, he fixed the eprom for the use of the modem for a month. My sincere thanks Lucas Nihart for having salvaged my Xmas present. EPROM CHIPS The eprom chip is the operating brain in a modem. The buyer of a used modem may expect a standard "hayes compatible" burn, the reality of the situation is that you never know what the previous owners have had done to the hardware setup. A smart move for the buyer of a used modem would be to plug it in and run some diagnostic software to determine if the non-volatile memory and the uart chip are operating correctly, particularly if you acquired an old modem used in a business. You can acquire diagnostic software made specifically for this purpose from; The Modem Doctor Copyr. 1989, 1990,1991,1992,1993 Hank Volpe P.O. Box 43214 Baltimore MD 21236 Voice : 410-256-5767 BBS : 410-256-3631 This is semi-shareware that will determine the operating condition of a modem. If you're interested in acquiring that file watch for MDR51.ZIP, MODEMD51.ZIP, and MODOC51.ZIP. 51 stands for version 5.1, the latest release from the programmer. This file determines the condition of both chips and spells out the operating standard programed into the eprom. Eprom knowledge learned and applied An interesting point about the new genre of modems and eprom chips should be mentioned at this point. Some of these modems have an engineering anomaly (1) of the eprom, this anomaly in the operation may cause some of what the operator presumes possible to be impossible. This anomaly has manifested itself before myself within a GVC corporation manufactured modem which had a problem switching v42 off and establishing a v22bis at 2400 baud connect, also a non v42 9600 baud MNP5 v32 connect. The modem was engineered to utilize the v42 data compression with MNP5, if switched off the modem had a problem acquiring the connect parameters as per the instructions of the hayes B1 command. GVC believing that this anomaly was harmless had engineered new soft- ware designed to operate within the hardware limitations. Eventually the retailer replaced my GVC model 144I modem with a different model of the GVC 144I. I actually believed that GVC had designed the modem to sell a certain software, actually they just attempted to capitalize on an anomaly that forced that model of modem to the bargain bins of the Fingerhut Company mail order businesses. The point here is that you need a working and predictable eprom chip that you may command to be compatible with software of your choice. Again, the modem doctor will return whether your eprom is a standard hayes type or something from mars. When you run modem doctor watch the S register returns for normal results, if modem doctor receives an unusual return it will send a message to the display. The Racal Vadic 9632VP modems.mdm As it is today, my Racal Vadic 9632VP will connect at all baud rates with or without MNP 1-5. Below is the current modems.mdm file I have for the Racal modem, I have since added a 14.4 Infotel to the BBS and now use the Racal on a different computer, but this file works. Pervious connects with @9680 have produced bi-directional transfers of 1300 cps throughput, @9680 uses a Supra 14.4. One more note...always check your terminal software program for which file number the modem auto-install wrote to, if you don't you might wind up in a conflict with your BBS modems.dat file when you raise your terminal. ############################################################################## # # Racal-vadic 9632VP # FILE: "RACAL" NAME: "RACAL 9632VP" NOTE: "This is a tested addendum to modems.mdm, created by 1@9661" SETU: "AT&F{~~~~~AT*E1E*F20M0&C1&D2S2=1S0=0X9&W0{" INIT: "ATZ0*E1S0=0S2=1{" ANSR: "ATA{" PICK: "ATH1{" HANG: "ATH0{" DIAL: "ATDT" SEPR: "/" DEFL: MS=9600 CS=19200 EC=N DC=N AS=N FC=Y RESL: "OK" "Normal" NORM RESL: "RING" "Ring" RING RESL: "NO CARRIER" "No Carrier" DIS RESL: "ERROR" "Error" ERR RESL: "NO DIALTONE" "No Dial Tone" NDT RESL: "BUSY" "Busy" DIS RESL: "NO ANSWER" "No Answer" DIS RESL: "CONNECT 103" "300" MS=300 RESL: "CONNECT" "300" MS=300 RESL: "CONNECT 1200" "1200" MS=1200 RESL: "CONNECT 2400" "2400" MS=2400 RESL: "CONNECT 4800" "4800" MS=4800 RESL: "CONNECT 9600" "9600" MS=9600 RESL: "ERROR CONTROL" '/MNP' EC=Y CON RESL: "NO ERROR CONTROL" '' EC=N CON RESL: "CLASS 5 COMPRESSION" '/MNP5' DC=Y CON RESL: "NO DATA COMPRESSION" '' DC=N CON Ima Moron 1@9661 - IceNEWS Contributing Writer W W I V S P E C I F I C Ŀ New WWIV Sysop Help Line Jack Ryan 1@4707 The first few months for a new sysop are trying times. At least, they were for me. For the most part, a new sysop won't know from what resources he/she will be able to draw from, and the documentation is not always easy for the uninitiated to understand. Hopefully, this continuing feature will help clear up some of the mysteries of running a bbs for new sysops, and also provide possible sources of information for future questions to be referenced. This first column is designed to help the new sysop (or any sysop) find the right place to go for help. While Wayne, Filo and Jim are always willing to help sysops, it is not always necessary to go to them for assistance. I'm sure that they enjoy it, but I imagine it can become overwhelming at times. Hopefully after reading this, there will be a better understanding of the support system that has been established for all sysops (new or old) in IceNET. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ The [ISB] and [IPSS] Systems In the two years that I have been a sysop, there have been some dramatic improvements in assisting new sysops. One of the best, in my opinion, was the revamping of the ISB (IceNET Support Board), and the addition of the IPSS (IceNET Primary Support System). These systems can be identified by the [ISB] or [IPSS] designations following the BBS name. There are a limited number of ISB and IPSS systems, ISB systems are limited to 1 system for every 10 systems while IPSS systems are limited to 1 per 100 systems in the network. This helps to ensure that each system has been checked out, and can provide quality assistance to the sysops who come looking for files, and answers to questions. All ISB systems have a Guest Sysop Account [GSA] for visiting sysops to log in under so that they have immediate access to the board. There will also be a minimum of 5 megs. of WWIV related files, and the current BBSLIST.* and CONNECT.* files available for download. IPSS systems are required to have a sysop with at least one year of WWIV experience, 30+ megs. of WWIV related files, including the most recent WWIV support files, and will also have Auto-Sysop Validation [ASV]. I have listed the IPSS systems below to provide you with a convenient reference. [IPSS] Systems Node Number Modem Info. BBS Name @1 716-592-5652 #38400 < !$ The Great White North [IPSS] @2050 210-631-5841 #14400 < !$ Dragon's Ice Den [IPSS] @3402 304-465-5223 #2400 The Empire BBS [IPSS] @3950 319-296-1529 #14400 < HIT BBS [IPSS] @5900 509-487-6572 #14400 !$ DATA*NORTH*WEST [IPSS] @6100 601-969-1190 #14400 !$ Patriot Games [IPSS] @6211 602-942-9228 #14400 < !$ Moon Valley Triangle [IPSS] @8315 803-731-0690 #38400 < !$ Trading Post South [IPSS] [ISB] Systems @13 716-235-5235 #9600 < ! The Doctor's Office [ISB] @2101 201-991-2369 #2400 Cyber World [ISB] @2461 214-661-3410 #14400 !$ Roide's Pleasure Palace [ASV][ISB] @2920 209-523-5878 #14400 !$ One More BBS [ISB] @3314 303-755-1884 #14400 !$ Erana's Peace [ASV/ISB] @3321 303-469-5223 #14400 !$ The Underground [ISB] @3454 314-963-7960 #2400 Rap City BBS [GSA] [ISB] @3466 314-432-8031 #14400 !$ Death's Lair [ISB] [ASV] @3476 314-939-4113 #16800 < !$ Callahan's Crosstime Saloon [ISB] @3480 314-942-9907 #14400 < !$ Tracy's Place [ISB] @3500 305-587-0185 #16800 < !$ The Samurai Palace [ISB] @4903 409-830-0719 #14400 !$ Mental Meltdown [ISB] @5050 510-256-9809 #14400 !$ Party Wherehouse [ISB] @5802 508-757-1102 #14400 !$ Sanctuary [ISB] [PIB] @5814 508-795-7672 #14400 !$ The Bears Cave BBS [ISB] @5850 518-587-0317 #14400 !$ Florida Keys [ISB] @5851 518-566-8903 #14400 < !$ Alpha Station [ISB] @5902 509-624-2480 #2400 Tiki's Express[ISB] @6258 612-755-1264 #2400 The Shack BBS [ISB] @6259 612-935-3505 #14400 !$ AeroTech BBS [ISB/ASV] @7662 716-691-9036 #14400 < !$ The Gaming World [ISB] @7663 716-691-7257 #14400 < !$ The unar ounge [ASV/ISB] @7664 716-691-0798 #14400 < !$ The Nine Worlds of Asgard [ISB/ASV] @7671 716-675-9384 #9600 < ! Berea [CIN/ISB] @7686 716-283-7236 #14400 !$ The Tower of High Sorcery [ISB] @7704 707-539-8361 #14400 !$ Atlantica [ISB] @7751 717-298-2136 #14400 !$ Starfleet Command [ISB/ASV] @8135 801-774-5574 #14400 < !$ The Sandbox ][ [ASV/ISB] @9050 910-000-0000 #14400 !$ The Pet Shop [ASV] [ISB] @9653 916-275-5708 #14400 !$ The Electronic Maelstorm[ISB] @9680 916-222-8911 #16800 < !$ Maestro BBS [ASV][CIN][ISB] @9707 907-356-7632 #14400 !$ The Trading Post [North][ISB] @9902 909-243-8570 #2400 Mental Illusions[ISB] @9958 919-924-2373 #2400 InFiNiTe rEaLiTy BBS [ISB] @9969 919-497-2963 #14400 !$ The Pet Shop [ASV] [ISB] @15269 512-592-8054 #14400 !$ Secret City BBS [ASV/ISB] Modem Info Identifiers: < USR Host ! CCITT v.32 (9600bps) $ CCITT v.32bis (14.4bps) Daryl (1@5900) is the coordinator of this program, and he (along with Jim (1@1) have done a wonderful job of implementing this very valuable support system. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ [GSA] and [ASV] Directory Another recent development within IceNET has been the compilation of systems that have ASV (Auto Sysop Validation) and GSA (Guest Sysop Accounts). Lance Halle (1@6211) is handling this task for IceNET, and has done his usual fan- tastic job with it. These systems allow other WWIV sysops first call access to the files section on their boards. The list is compiled with identifiers to show which systems carry what type of files, and the quantity (number of files). This list may be obtained straight from the IceNET sysops conference every month, or you may wish to contact Lance for more information. Here is the updated version of the directory from Lance himself specifically for IceNEWS: GSA / ASV DIRECTORY ==== Guest Sysop Account systems [GSA] ==== ==== Auto Sysop Validation systems [ASV] ==== +++ NEW NEW NEW NEW NEW +++ Now being distributed on IceNET, and includes two new service flags and network identifiers. 1 = WWIVnet 2 = IceNET 3 = WWIVnet + IceNET @ = IPSS (IceNET Primary Support System) ! = ISB (IceNET Support Board) ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ### -=* Please read NEW policy on granting access to MODS & MODNET *=- ### ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ FILE CATEGORIES Number of files available LOWER case list UPPER case list A = Audio Files 20+ 200+ C = Games For WWIV 25+ 250+ NOTE - This listing only D = Dos Utilities 25+ 250+ gives an indication of E = GIFs 30+ 300+ how many files a system G = Games - off line type 30+ 300+ has to offer. Many I = IceNET support files 2+ 20+ systems with small hard L = Link support files 2+ 20+ drives keep only the M = Mods for WWIV 50+ (SEE BELOW) 500+ BEST and MOST RECENT N = Communications Programs 10+ 100+ files, so don't overlook O = OS-2 Utilities 15+ 150+ them! P = Compression Files 5+ 50+ S = Virus Scanners 5+ 50+ V = VBBS support files 5+ 50+ W = WWIV support files 50+ 500+ X = Windows Utilities 15+ 150+ NOTE ABOUT MODS: Per Filo's & Wayne's request, MODS and MODNET should NOT be available to first time callers. The Sysop needs to verify the caller's WWIV registration number by verifying it in the BBSLIST.* files of WWIVnet, or with Filo (1@2050) BEFORE granting access MODS or MODNET. NOTE: MODNET refers to SubType 2370. MODS refers to any other Sub or Directory that carries WWIV mods. SERVICES * = Official Source Distribution Site # = Official WWIV Support Board @ = IPSS (IceNET Primary Support System) ! = ISB (IceNET Support Board) % = PCPursuitable ~ = Unknown System These will be removed from the listing after 30 days to allow time for errors in the NET updates to be corrected. NETWORKS 1 = WWIVnet 2 = IceNET 3 = WWIVnet + IceNET PROTOCOL IDENTIFIERS < = USRobotics HST protocol ! = V.32 protocol > = Hayes V-series protocol $ = V.32bis protocol | = Telebit PEP protocol / = Compucom 9600 protocol MODEM LINK SPEEDS (Sp) 2 = 2400 9 = 9600 14 = 14400 16 = 16800 ACCOUNT TYPES A = Auto Sysop Validation systems [ASV] G = Guest Sysop Account systems [GSA] DIRECTORY Files & Account type-| Services Protocol-| | ACDEGILMNOPSVWX*#@!% Node Net Phone BBS Name St Sp | | -------------------- ----- -- ------------ ------------------ -- -- --- -- c M w *# 7 1 415-349-4141 Crest CA 16 ! AG cdeg n ps wx 2660 1 216-743-4215 R.A.D.S Y-TOWN BBS OH 9 ! AG cdeg w 2661 1 216-337-0758 K's Korner BBS OH 14 !$ AG CD n s W *# 2914 3 209-549-0423 Anything Goes BBS CA 12 !$ A c e m 2924 1 209-469-3532 CandyLand BBS CA 14 !$ AG AcDEG lmNOPSvwX 2932 1 209-274-0621 Ship's BBS CA 14 !$ A c mn ps wx 3081 3 310-973-4949 Entity CA 14 !$ AG cd gilm p 3085 1 310-790-8560 The SlowSleep BBS CA 14 !$ G acdeg mn p x 3101 1 301-229-2957 The Star-Lit BBS MD 14 !$ A c m w 3106 1 301-208-0832 Dupont Plaza [ASV-GSA]MD 2 AG cde m w *# !% 3314 3 303-755-1884 Erana's Peace CO 14 !$ A n ps w * % 3459 1 314-861-1820 The M&M Factory MO 14 ! AG c eg mn p x ~5208 1 502-877-2573 The New Generation KY 14 !$ A cdegIlmn ps x 5212 1 502-352-2169 The Barbarian's Hut KY 14 !$ AG ac m 5480 1 514-652-5752 Twiggy's Board PQ 2 A Cd IL N PSvw 5489 1 514-948-4802 CYBERGATE! PQ 14 !$ AG acde ilmn p wx # 5497 3 514-664-4503 Alternative Worlds CN 2 A AcDEGi MNopS wX # 5800 1 508-795-7672 Bears Cave BBS MA 14 !$ A d g w 5809 1 508-251-9812 Omega BBS MA 2 G cdG ilMn ps wX @ 5900 3 509-487 6572 DATA*NORTH*WEST WA 14 !$ AG ACDEgI MNoPs WX @ 6100 3 601-969-1190 Patriot Games MS 14 !$ AG CD MN W 6101 1 601-374-0072 Hacker's Heaven MS 16 !$ A d Gil * 7663 1 716-837-1636 Paragon NY 16 /* These files hold the info to use the inner- */ #include /* functions to be used in the program. Some */ #include /* may not be needed, but its nice to have them. */ #include #include #include #include #include struct { char name[200][36]; int tnum, iceaddress[200], iceunum[200]; } data; void save_stuff(void); /* Definition 'prototype' for save_stuff */ int usernum,f; int main(void) { char ch[81],*s,*s1; int i,l=0; clrscr(); if ((f=open("INFO.DAT",O_RDONLY|O_BINARY))==-1) { f=open("INFO.DAT",O_RDONLY|O_BINARY|O_CREAT); } else read(f,&data,sizeof(data)); close(f); textcolor(MAGENTA); cprintf("What is your name? "); gets(s); l=strlen(s); for(i=0;i void save_stuff(void); ... And to call the function, all that is needed is: 'save_stuff()'. I stated that fact because I knew someone who was taking a basic level C class in college and for weeks did not know how to do that. To learn how to define functions, refer to MINIPRG.C, as it is shown there. Well, hopefully this little tutorial helped you somewhat, if not, you still got a neat little program. Nato 1@8273 IceNEWS Contributing Writer L I G H T B Y T E S Ŀ Silly Strings Ima Moron 1@9661 Silly Strings will be a new regular feature to IceNEWS in the Light Bytes department. Silly Strings are odd or humorous little one-liners that appear on various BBS systems from around the network. They can include SSMs, ESMs, modified strings, hard-coded mods, or taglines. If you have any Silly Strings that you'd like to share with other by having them appear in IceNEWS, please send your submissions to: Silly Strings c/o Ima Moron, 1@9661 IceNEWS Light Bytes Contributing Editor Enter sex M)ale F)emale O)ther (From 1@9661, at the newuser information input.) [Please wait]...the FBI is tapping your phone. (From 1@9653, when the sysop drops to DOS.) Naw', don't feel like it. (From 1@9660, declining an extended file description.) >MARTIAN INVADER< (From 1@9661, system title for an unknown system's post on a net sub.) Parts Unknown (From 2@7653, system title for an unknown system's post on a net sub.) Mail's Nuked! (Formerly on Kling the Lofty's BBS (defunct) when the user deleted mail.) xxxx claims to have read your mail. (SSM for mail read from @7653.) Enter a long winded description? (Located on Kling the Lofty's BBS (defunct) when a user is asked to enter an extended file description.) These people felt inclined to write you (From 1@8135, located at the mail waiting message.) Hard Coded: "Making coffee..." (From 1@8411, in place of "Answering phone, 'H' to abort" at WFC screen.) Hard Coded: "Waiting for coffee machine..." (From 1@8411, at WFC screen in place of "Waiting" for modem.) [MENOPAUSE] (From 1@4701, replacement for [PAUSE].) Well, We're waiting... (From 1@7653, replacement for [PAUSE].) Well, that should give you something of an idea of what we're looking for in the way of submissions. If you have submissions to make, please send them along to me. I'll do my best to publish as many submissions as possible for each column. Ima Moron 1@9661 IceNEWS Contributing Light Bytes Editor Ŀ SysGods: Sysops with an attitude Deacon Blues 2@7653 or "I Did It MY Way" "You ask me if I have a God complex. I AM God." - Alec Baldwin in commercials for the film "Malice" - We've all heard the horror stories. Accounts deleted for "no reason." Mail from users being routinely ignored or just plain "zapped" without reply. New user accounts remaining unvalidated for weeks, sometimes months. Sudden loss of carrier from the BBS, then a busy signal when redialing is attempted. Seventy-five line posts from the #1 account on a daily basis explaining in excruciatingly exact detail just why he/she holds the #1 account and what he/she can do to those who dare to oppose. I am, of course, talking about the sysop. More precisely, the sysop with an attitude. If you continually experience any or all of the potential symptoms I've outlined above, you may have found yourself a sysop with a "SysGod" complex. The SysGod complex can best be described as a habitual misuse of the powers vested in being a sysop for reasons of pleasure or personal gain. The complex causes the sysop to act in a manner that would suggest delusions of godhood and a semi-divine detachment, thus alienating his/her users to the point of them no longer calling the BBS. The complex can be broken down into two categories: "Demi-SysGod Syndrome" [DSS] and "Holy SysGod Syndrome" [HSS]. Believe it or not, in most cases of DSS, the afflicted sysops usually started their BBS with all the best of intentions, and in most cases used to be a "regular" user prior to becoming a sysop. But, apparently, somewhere along the way something happens to them. Maybe it's the fact that running a BBS is more of a task than they thought it was. Maybe they're experiencing personal problems. Maybe their pet goldfish died. Somewhere down the line, they experience a "break" in their attitude as a sysop. A kind of a digital "Falling Down," if you will, where they start to vent their anger and frustrations out onto their users. When detected early, most of these cases manage to correct themselves in a relatively short time and with little lasting repercussions to their users. Once a sense of normalcy returns to the sysop's life, so too does it to the BBS in most cases. HSS sufferers, on the other hand, while also usually being users prior to becoming sysops, also generally suffer from other outside, pre-existing personality disorders. As regular users (and I use the term "regular" loosely), they often acted in "irregular" manners that most would describe as being combative, disrespectful, disagreeable, belligerent, and/or offensive toward others. Typically, they are the type of user who feels that they are "God's gift to BBSs" or a form of "Modem Messiah" and anyone else who has differing ideas or ideals is irrelevant and only there for his/her personal amusement. They are usually shallow, close-minded individuals who quite probably used to be (or still are) either the school, neighborhood or work bully. Mostly, their motivation to start their own BBS is based on their feelings that "All of the other 35 BBSs I call suck, so I'll make one in my own image with my own rules and forget everyone else." While HSS sufferers make up only a small minority of those who suffer from the SysGod complex, they are the one's who draw all the scrutiny from others as their affliction is usually chronic in nature and long in duration. One of the saddest things about this affliction is that everyone, not just the sysop, suffers because of the effects of the SysGod complex. This includes the BBS itself. Many times, in fits of rage and delirium, they will make changes to the BBS itself to reflect their newfound divine philosophy in the way of allowing certain policies, adding particular subs that normally wouldn't be carried, deleting files or users, regularly interrupting or kicking users offline in order to allow the SysGod to access the computer for things like playing games, viewing adult .GIFs, calling other BBSs and leaving posts saying how much that system sucks and how great his system is, etc. As a result, the users will slowly start to disappear as they either stop calling back or are deleted by the sysop. Eventually, the BBS will receive sufficient bad word-of-mouth publicity as to discourage new callers from logging on. In order to better understand the psyche of those who suffer from HSS, I decided to look for a local BBS that is run by an afflicted sysop and give it a call. After searching the advertisement subs of several local systems, I found the following ad: CALL HERE!!!!!! MY DAMN BBS (Sysop: The All-Powerful 1) If you don't call "My Damn BBS," you're a chump. 716-555-1001 Nine months old and going strong. As this looked like a good potential candidate for a HSS sufferer, I called. Here is the capture file I ran while online at My Damn BBS. My personal notes written later appear in [brackets]. Connected at 14400 Welcome to: ___ ___ /\ /\ | \ | \ / \/ \ | |\ \ | o / / /\ /\ \ | |/ / | o \ /_/ \/ \_\ Y |_ _/ AMN |___/ BS Sysop: The All-Powerful 1 24 Hours (but not in a row) 2400-14.4 (if I like you) - 1200 (if I don't) Enter your number or name or `NEW' NM: NEW Would you like to use our Guest User account to look around first? Y/N Y Too damn bad, we don't have one here. [At this point, I was somewhat certain that I'd reached a HSS sufferer, but some doubts still remained. Those, however, were washed away by what followed next. At this juncture, one would expect to see a system rules file and/or a legal disclaimer. Here's what I got:] >>Welcome To My Damn BBS<< My Damn BBS was started because I felt that all the other sysops in the area are [CENSORED]. So I leeched a copy of WWIV from somebody and started by own BBS. My motto here is: If you don't like it, too damn bad. Since this BBS is run on by damn computer, I'm gonna run this place the way I want to and nobody better tell me any different. Here's my damn rules for My Damn BBS: Don't bother trying to chat with me about any of your problems as I got enough of my own to deal with and shouldn't have to deal with yours too. If you leave me mail, I might get around to answering it someday if I find it interesting and relevant, but don't hold your breath. If you don't like it, too damn bad. If you have problems with using the BBS software, don't bug me for help. I had to learn once too, you know, and nobody showed me how to do it. If you can't figure it out for yourself, that's your problem. If you don't like it, too damn bad. If you want to swear here, that's fine with me. I'm sure it's nothing I haven't heard or said already anyway. Cuss all you want. If you've got virgin ears and don't like it, too damn bad. Don't bother asking me for files that I have backed-up offline in the transfer section. I've got "Castle Commando II," "Rocket Jockey IV," and "The Further Adventures of Happy Henry Hedonist in the Land of the Sexually Explicit Women Who'll Never Sleep With Him" taking up 85 megs on my BBS HD, so I don't have the room for them. And I'm not going to clear-up any HD space just for YOU. This is >>My<< Damn BBS, and if you don't like it, too damn bad. Don't pester me for more time to download files. If you've got a 14.4 modem, you should be able to get whatever you want in the 20 minutes I give you online. If the file is too big and you don't like it, too damn bad. If you call at any speed less than 14.4 and you want more D/L time, too damn bad, get a 14.4 modem and I'll start to think about it. Maybe. Don't post anything contradictory to whatever I post. I'll either delete it or flame you, probably both. If you get me riled-up enough, I'll delete your account and throw your name into my trashcan.txt file. Remember, since I've got the #1 account here, whatever I say is law and whatever I want to do, I'll do. If you don't like it, too damn bad. These are the rules for MY Damn BBS. If you don't like them, too damn bad, press ALT-H to hang up now since you obviously disagree with me and users here aren't allowed to disagree with me. Continue to logon? Y/N Y [At this point, I was fully convinced I had encountered a sysop with a particularly advanced case of HSS, one which looked terminal for this sufferer. Sadly, my initial diagnosis for this patient is that he suffers from a not-so-rare form of HSS in the manifestation of a "Ptolemy complex" in which, as the name suggests, he sincerely believes that the universe (and his BBS in particular) does indeed revolve around him, and not vice-versa. On the average, about 70-75% of HSS sufferers also are afflicted with a Ptolemy complex. Medical science is currently at a loss to explain the cause for such conditions and attempts at treatment are usually unsuccessful.] [I decided that, in the interest of getting better insight into this ailment, I needed to logon to this system to further see just how far the HSS had manifested itself. I also decided that, given the nature of this particular case, it would be best for me to logon under an assumed name with bogus user info. While considered unethical from a journalistic and a BBSing point of view, I felt safer personally, since I don't want this loop to ever know who I really am. I feel that, to paraphrase his own inspired words, if he don't like that, too damn bad. Following my logon info, I sent the obligatory new user feedback to The All-Powerful 1 to reflect my bogus statistics and stated that I'm just a general user looking to check out his BBS. Upon completion of that, I glean my next view of the effects of HSS on the sysop and his particular BBS as the logon continues.] Good Evening, Mr. Blahblahblah. You are the 3rd caller for today. Last Callers: ======================================================================= Call # User Name Time Baud # ======================================================================= 278 Blow Hard #3 2:53 am 2400 1 279 The All-Powerful's Babe #2 3:21 pm KB 1 280 Redneck #4 4:14 pm 9600 1 281 Blow Hard #3 6:00 am 2400 1 ======================================================================= [Things don't look too good so far. Considering that his BBS has been up (supposedly) for 9 months, 281 calls is pretty sparse business. Also, since I called at around 10 pm and I'm only the third caller for the day, it looks like there's not too much activity in these parts. I can't imagine why. I also don't see a user number higher than 4. Strange. Let us continue on:] Auto Message by: The All-Powerful 1 #1 Welcome to My Damn BBS Anyone who changes this automessage dies. If you don' like it, too damn bad. User Name Mr. Blahblahblah #9 Member since 10/26/93 Member status Inconsequential Unvalidated New Peon Time allowed on 10 minutes Mail waiting 0 Times on today 1 Sysop is NOT going to answer you even if he's here System is WWIV v4.22 (Reg #[DELETED]) [User #9, eh? After 9 months of operation? Either there have been alot of deletions, or people have just stayed away in droves. I think it's probably a combination of both. I also like the automessage. It shows just how possessive that this person has become. This is common in advanced cases. Also note the member status and sysop availability lines, as well as time allowed online. At least you know where you stand with this guy. Let's move on further, shall we. Now we've made it to the main message prompt, let's take a look around and see what's online for subs before time expires:] Time Remaining = 9 minutes, 7 seconds [1] [The All-Powerful 1's Decrees]:* Available message bases: Sub Network/ New # Scan? Local Sub Name Msgs ====================================================================== 1 Yes Local The All-Powerful 1's Decrees 1 2 Yes Local The All-Powerful 1 on Everything 50 3 Yes Local The All-Powerful 1 on Politics 50 4 Yes Local The All-Powerful 1 on Sports 50 5 Yes Local The All-Powerful 1 on News 50 6 Yes Local The All-Powerful 1 on Television 50 7 Yes Local The All-Powerful 1 on Movies 50 8 Yes Local The All-Powerful 1 on Women 50 9 Yes Local The All-Powerful 1 on Programming 50 10 Yes Local The All-Powerful 1 on Games 50 11 Yes Local The All-Powerful 1 on Music 50 ====================================================================== Time Remaining = 8 minutes, 59 seconds [1] [The All-Powerful 1's Decrees]: [I'm sensing a distinct pattern here. Obviously, this particular patient is definitely in the most advanced latter stages of the disease. The aforementioned Ptolemy complex is well represented by this sampling. Mercifully, I believe that this patient will succumb to the effects of HSS very soon and his suffering (as well as everyone else's) will then end. While there still appears to be some life left in the body, let us further sample so of this person's delusions of Godhood by viewing some messages. We'll start with The All-Powerful 1's Decrees. Since there's only one message on there, this shouldn't take long:] Time Remaining = 8 minutes, 59 seconds [1] [The All-Powerful 1's Decrees]: Q < Q-scan The All-Powerful 1's Decrees 1 - 1 msgs > Message 1 of 1 Title/Subject: If you don't like it, too damn bad. [Random Title] Name: the All-Powerful 1 #1 Date: Sun Feb 24 11:41:17 1993 Well, I finally got this piece of [CENSORED] up and running. I hope you're all happy now. I know I am. I've finally got my own little stomping ground and I plan on stomping anyone who gets in my way here. If you don't like it, tough [CENSORED]. BTW = The board will be down for the entire month of April because that's when Star Shooter XXIII comes out and I won't have enough room on my HD for both the game and the BBS. Whenever I get thru with the game, I'll put the board back up. Maybe. If you're lucky. If you don't like it, too damn bad. #1 < The All-Powerful 1's Decrees 1 - 1 Q-scan Done > Time Remaining = 8 minutes, 53 seconds [1] [The All-Powerful 1's Decrees]: [Again, the Ptolemy complex shows here. Deciding to take down a system that has only recently gone online for the purpose of playing a newly-released game shows where this particular sysop's priorities lie.] [Just as I was going to begin to delve into the message bases to see further preachings of higher thinking from The All-Powerful 1, the following occurred:] Time Remaining = 8 minutes, 53 seconds [1] [The All-Powerful 1's Decrees]:ɵ^/!PIyյ!(>="LUňc⪂lk8ÎV 3ϝ"3f&iE[Ety*IUP(hSpZV8rń( ?ůE>*H"Ɍ+0'w3`wg#NWc&ll5kap(oLדxe\R IdDjTR[`}kBnʵwxg3߶#cXB*eʢރSO۰f$aB crD]i[6SQl(՟>8E!ߠ#@bV@i,Bѷ[g3o)EUKeGHoqZf ;IƚW۹mi.fO<͆uFl;W/í灣ɜ풽N0_-q?G|ڨuV ޾x?Wsiys":1&`Ǯe?30#,bqZ37hkW,oQ#pp :K/0qR7$2A5%s;QJBy1Qk:!`˯Ɓ#Կ#ʕrʹ3[uU%5RmZ3}: JwvrAS=tWWgsךj*Nbgi~8LcugܑsA/yK*, U>ՒcIxjkdB`)c6stPE3BlӋ:2VK4IġMĪM֋xx Ipw1dx6p|}QpN@s"32;M(랴@KfƸ-ٖb~a2_V6#@NU"pX X-u)ǖܙH̀jnu(0~+#X/Sr,;#=Kr~4),l>C59 3ϝ"3f&iE[Ety*IUP(hSpZV8rń( ?ůE>*H"Ɍ+0'w3`wg#NWc&ll5kap(oLדxe\R IdDjTR[`}kBnʵwxg3߶#cXB*eʢރSO۰f$aB crD]i[6SQl(՟>8E!ߠ#@bV@i,Bѷ[g3o)EUKeGHoqZf ;IƚW۹mi.fO<͆uFl;W/í灣ɜ풽N0_-q?G|ڨuV ޾x?Wsiys":1&`Ǯe?30#,bqZ37hkW,oQ#pp :K/0qR7$2A5%s;QJBy1Qk:!`˯Ɓ#Կ#ʕrʹ3[uU%5RmZ3}: JwvrAS=tWWgsךj*Nbgi~8LcugܑsA/yK*, U>ՒcIxjkdB`)c6stPE3BlӋ:2VK4IġMĪM֋xx Ipw1dx6p|}QpN@s"32;M(랴@KfƸ-ٖb~a2_V6#@NU"pX X-u)ǖܙH̀jnu(0~+#X/Sr,;#=Kr~4),l>C59 NO CARRIER [Man! That's a pretty generous helping of line noise there! My computer was beeping out the pc speaker big-time on that dosage of dumping. It's quite possible that this sufferer has installed a combination line noise generating nuke mod built into his system. As if it's not simple enough to just hit F5 to dump a user off the system, this guy needs special line noise key to give the act a true meaning of personal satisfaction. Looks like this sufferer has got something better to do with his system than to allow me (or others, for that matter) to use it. Upon redialing, the line was busy. Why am I not surprised?] [After three hours of solid war-dialing, I finally managed to get back on the system. After going through my logon, I see the following:] Last Callers: ======================================================================= Call # User Name Time Baud # ======================================================================= 279 The All-Powerful's Babe #2 3:21 pm KB 1 280 Redneck #4 4:14 pm 9600 1 281 Blow Hard #3 6:00 am 2400 1 282 Mr. Blahblahblah #9 10:04 pm 14400 1 ======================================================================= [Uh-huh. Just as I suspected. Notice who the last caller was. Me. Obviously, our HSS sufferer is lurking near the keyboard somewhere. Let's see if I can call him out.] Time Remaining = 9 minutes, 45 seconds [1] [The All-Powerful 1's Decrees]: C The All-Powerful 1 can't be bothered by your trivial problems. Leave feedback instead. Leave feedback to The All-Powerful 1 #1 ? (Y/N) Y [Since our sufferer seems to be above speaking with me, I decided that I will leave him feedback instead. I chose to make a fairly neutral statement regarding what had happened to me earlier. This should manage to get some response from our esteemed SysGod.] Enter Title or Press [Return] for a Random Title. (---=----=----=----=----=----=----=----=----=----=----=----) Title: Hello... Enter message now, max lines are 20 Type /COLORS to change your default colors. Type /MACROS to change your default macros. Type /HELP for help. Type /Q to quote from message. /S Save /ABT Abort /LI List /CLR Clear CTRL-P # Change color [...|....1....|....2....|....3....|....4....|....5....|....6....|....7....|....] Hi there. Sorry to trouble you, but I am a new user here and recently experienced a problem when I was on your system earlier tonight. I was just looking around when I suddenly lost carrier. I was wondering if this was due to a problem on your end, or if it was a problem with my terminal program. I don't have call-waiting or an extension phone on this line that I call out with, so I'm kind of puzzled by the dropped carrier problem. Can you enlighten me? Thank for any help. Mr. Blahblahblah /es Saving... message sent to The All-Powerful 1 #1. Time Remaining = 9 minutes, 45 seconds [1] [The All-Powerful 1's Decrees]: [What happened next was totally unexpected:] The All-Powerful 1 is Here: Hey! What's your problem, buddy? [Well, I expected a response to my letter, but not THIS fast! Let's see what he has to say:] Hello. I'm not sure what the problem is, if it's with my software or if it's on your end. I was on earlier this evening and I know, dammit. don't you think I saw the mail you sent me? So, what's your point? Well, I was wondering if you were around when I lost carrier here earlier and saw what happened. Did your board hang? I saw by the daily log that nobody else been on the system since I lost carrier. [I deliberately gave him an "out" in my question by suggesting that the board might have locked-up. This was my way to finally determine once and for all if he was indeed suffering from HSS. If he was, he wouldn't take the escape that I gave him, instead opting to blather something to the effect that it was "his" system and if I didn't like it, then that was too damn bad.] Hey! I had to do something on the computer. You got a problem with that? What are you, some kind of [CENSORED] troublemaker? No, I'm not trying to cause a problem, I just asked a question. If you needed to use the computer, you could have just popped in on me in chat mode like you are now and ask me to logoff. I would've done it. There was no need to hang up on me. [CENSORED] off, buddy. You're outta here! 3ϝ"3f&iE[Ety*IUP(hSpZV8rń( ?ůE>*H"Ɍ+0'w3`wg#NWc&ll5kap(oLדxe\R IdDjTR[`}kBnʵwxg3߶#cXB*eʢރSO۰f$aB crD]i[6SQl(՟>8E!ߠ#@bV@i,Bѷ[g3o)EUKeGHoqZf ;IƚW۹mi.fO<͆uFl;W/í灣ɜ풽N0_-q?G|ڨuV ޾x?Wsiys":1&`Ǯe?30#,bqZ37hkW,oQ#pp :K/0qR7$2A5%s;QJBy1Qk:!`˯Ɓ#Կ#ʕrʹ3[uU%5RmZ3}: JwvrAS=tWWgsךj*Nbgi~8LcugܑsA/yK*, U>ՒcIxjkdB`)c6stPE3BlӋ:2VK4IġMĪM֋xx Ipw1dx6p|}QpN@s"32;M(랴@KfƸ-ٖb~a2_V6#@NU"pX X-u)ǖܙH̀jnu(0~+#X/Sr,;#=Kr~4),l>C59 NO CARRIER [Well, I think that settles it. I decided to try one more time calling back to see just how badly my little comment had affected this guy.] Connected at 14400 Welcome to: ___ ___ /\ /\ | \ | \ / \/ \ | |\ \ | o / / /\ /\ \ | |/ / | o \ /_/ \/ \_\ Y |_ _/ AMN |___/ BS Sysop: The All-Powerful 1 24 Hours (but not in a row) 2400-14.4 (if I like you) - 1200 (if I don't) Enter your number or name or `NEW' NM: Mr. Blahblahblah Sorry, I don't know that user Enter your number or name or `NEW' NM: Mr. Blahblahblah Sorry, I don't know that user Enter your number or name or `NEW' NM: 9 Sorry, I don't know that user NO CARRIER I think it's safe to say that My Damn BBS isn't going to be long for this world, so long as The All-Powerful 1 is the sysop. What you've seen here is a rare glimpse of a sysop who suffers from an extreme case of SysGod Complex. As I stated earlier, cases such as the one documented above are relatively few in numbers but I think you can see that while they are few, they also have the potential to be very acute. Medical science has thus far been unable to find a cause for this ailment, let alone a cure. Unless the disease is caught in its earliest stages, it is ultimately fatal to a sysop and his/her BBS. Like rubber-neckers gawking at a car wreck while passing it on the highway, there's little anyone can do or say except "What a shame. I wonder what happened." The best way to protect yourself from the ravages of the SysGod Complex is to know the tell-tale warning signs: -=- Repeatedly hanging-up on your users -=- Repeatedly taking the board down for your own uses -=- Chronically ignoring e-mail from your users -=- Deleting users who question or disagree with you -=- Continually telling your users that the board is "mine" If you notice any of these potential warning signs in yourself, you may be at risk of having one of the two complexes. The best way to tell is to put up a public post on the board asking the opinion of your users on how you're running the system. If you see a noticeable number of negative posts, you may have a problem. If you then begin to delete these posts and the users who made them, then you DEFINITELY are suffering from either DSS or HSS. Once you are diagnosed with having a SysGod complex, the only treatment can come from within. YOU must be the one who treats the disease by changing your habits and starting to act more responsibly toward your users, your BBS, and yourself. Hopefully, this article will help to illuminate others to the effects of SysGod Syndrome and, perhaps, may save others from succumbing to this most dreaded of afflictions. For only through effective education and communication can this monstrous malady ever be eradicated. Deacon Blues 2@7653 IceNEWS Contributing Light Bytes Editor Ŀ IceNEWS is an independent journal published monthly as a service to IceNET, its Sysops and users. The opinions & reviews expressed herein are the expressed views of the respective writers. All Rights Reserved.