°°°°°°Ü °°Ü °°°ÜÜ°°°Ü °°°°°°Ü °°°°°°Ü °°Ü °°°ÜÜ°°°Ü °°°°°°Ü °°°°°°Ü °°Ûß°°Û °°Û °°Û°°Û°°Û °°Ûßßßß ß°°Ûßß °°Û °°Û°°Û°°Û °°Ûßßßß °°Ûßßßß °°°°°Ûß °°Û °°Û ßß°°Û °°°°°Ü °°Û °°Û °°Û ßß°°Û °°°°°Ü °°°°°°Ü °°Ûß°°Ü °°Û °°Û °°Û °°Ûßßß °°Û °°Û °°Û °°Û °°Ûßßß ßßß°°Û °°Û °°Û °°Û °°Û °°Û °°°°°°Ü °°Û °°Û °°Û °°Û °°°°°°Ü °°°°°°Û ßß ßß ßß ßß ßß ßßßßßß ßß ßß ßß ßß ßßßßßß ßßßßßß =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= MAY RELAYNET INTERNATIONAL MESSAGE EXCHANGE NEWSLETTER 1992 =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= ÚÄ¿ ÄÂÄ Ú¿ ÚÄ¿ ÃÂÙ ³ ³³³ ÃÄ See Article #2 for an interesting ÁÀ ÄÁÄ Á Á ÀÄÄ insight into what RIME has become ÄÂÄ ÚÄ¿ ÚÄ¿   ÚÄ¿  ÚÄ¿ ÚÄ¿ for an international traveler. ³ ÃÂÙ ÃÄ´ ³ÚÙ ÃÄ ³ ÃÄ ÃÂÙ Á ÁÀ Á Á ÀÙ ÀÄÄ ÀÄÄ ÀÄÄ ÁÀ --------------------------------------------------------------------------- Most recent count of nodes - 976 (+13) Most recent count of hubs - 110 Currently active International Conferences - 280 (+4) --------------------------------------------------------------------------- RIME Times Staff Editor.....................................................Curt Akin ->MORE Editorial Associates: Security and Safe Computing.........................To be announced The Inner View..............................Inez Harrison ->MOONDOG Editor of Poetry in Motion distributed by RIME ShareWare.....................................Patrick Grote ->SHRPT Who's Who....................................Patrick Lee ->RUNNINGB Copy Editor and Design Consultant.................J. Barrett ->MORE --------------------------------------------------------------------------- Table of Contents --------------------------------------------------------------------------- Article# Subject Author 1 Frankly, Curt Curt Akin Node ID ->MORE 2 RIME's Infinite Possibities Morten Sillesen Node ID ->DKBBBS 3 Michaelangelo's Real Message Don Tennant ComputerWorld 4 The Inner View Inez Harrison Node ID ->MOONDOG 5 Stolen from the Conferences 6 ShareWare Patrick Grote Node ID ->SHRPT 7 Conference News James Wall Node ID ->DREAM 8 Who's Who and What's What Patrick Lee Node ID ->RUNNINGB 9 Notices -------------------------------------------------------------------------- =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= 1 - FRANKLY, CURT from your Editor Node ID ->MORE =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= In this issue, you'll find an article from Morten Sillesen to whom RIME has a special meaning. There's a wrapup of the Michaelangelo virus business. Inez interviews the QEdit folk. But there's one thing missing: Carol Carmichael's column on Safe Computing is no longer with us. Carol's work pressures forced her to resign; she was simply concerned that she would not be able to fulfill the obligations of deadlines. This position is currently open, and I'm looking for someone with slightly more than just casual awareness of safe computing and security to fill it. If you're interested, leave me a R/O routed (->MORE) message in COMMON. RIME's position as an established network became clearer to me upon reading Bob Metcalf's LAN Notes column in the March 9th issue of Communications Week. Bob had asked the 150,000 readers of Communications Week to send him E-mail. He listed the public and private networks from which he had received his 1,241 responses - 40 of them, and there was RIME huddled between Oracle and Sprintmail along with the big guys like CompuServe, Tymnet, MCI Mail, Internet, and Fidonet. RIME's appearance as part of the E-mail infrastructure is due, in part, to you -- the users that help make RIME the growing, stable network that it has become. Until next month, when we expect to bring you more from the world of RIME, I remain, frankly, Curt =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= 2 - RIME's INFINITE POSSIBILITIES by Morten Sillesen Node ID ->DKBBBS =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= [Editor's Note: Morten's idioms have been left intact. Also, Morten has agreed to provide a travelogue which will appear in future issues of RIME Times.] RIME is far more than short chats with other computer freaks. I'm a 21 year old male from Denmark, who after 7 months of 'normal' participation in RIME conferences realized how powerful RIME really is. Right after Christmas 1991 I realized that my choice of education was wrong and I quit my studies until next year. Because of this my summer holiday could begin much earlier than planned in the very beginning. Great! Long summer holiday. But what should I do in the holiday? I felt a need for 'different' experiences. No problem! Himalaya Mountains is just waiting for me....naa! What about Interrail (Europe by train)? No, every youngsters have tried, that's not different enough. I really couldn't find out what to do. But suddenly I knew what to do. Of course: "United States of America! I want to visit the country I've heard so much about. I want to travel around experiencing different parts of the country - meeting different people !!!" Every European youngster dream of this, including me. The US is like a magnet, but unfortunately it's rather expensive to realize this dream, and I didn't knew anyone to visit. Hmmmm...... Then suddenly, like I was struck by lightning, the best idea in years occured inside me: R I M E ! I would publish my travel plans on the RIME net. Here is some of my message: "I'm writing this msg to 'test' the possibilities in a future visit to the US. I'll go to the US 2-3 month before september. What I'm looking for is: "1) Someone to visit just for the fun of it. "2) Someone to show me important sights in US. "3) Someone to stay with (ie 1 week each place) to avoid expensive hotels." I really didn't know what to expect. After all, only a few knew me as their chat-friend, and to all others I was a total stranger. And if someone replied they maybe just were friendly, and not ready to help me. I had to try anyway. My friends here in Denmark (not into computers) didn't believe me when I told them about my plans. And they really opened their eyes wide, when I showed them the results of the publishing on RIME. New York, Frederick - Maryland, New Orleans, Long Beach, San Diego and even Alaska. The offers filled my monitor, and my imaginations too. People on RIME gave me opportunities enough to stay in the USA for a whole year. This way would bring down my costs, but more important: I WOULD MEET A LOT OF PEOPLE! I must admit that I didn't quite understand what was happening, and I didn't 100% trust the seriousness of the replies I've got. But day by day the seriousness was emphasized by the replyers. Different schedules and pictures were sent via US mail and activities during my visit were planned. The communication in both RIME and via US mail is highly recommended. It gives both host and visitor a higher confidence, and that's very important. After all, you don't know each other very well. My visit is so far planned to take place from the start of June to the middle of August. I'll visit the North East area (NY, DC), South East area (GA, Louisiana),and California. The people that replied me will be my hosts. Some will point out sights to me, others will tell me about the special things about their area, and others again will introduce me to their friends. I wont get bored 1 minute. I don't think I'll have time to sleep! This is just another example on the infinite possibilities that Rime offers. It's a VERY strong communication tool in many ways. A lot of modem owners just don't know, and a lot of computer owners don't know about modeming at all. That's a shame. My friends here in Denmark, who don't know much about computers, never really believed me when I told them about RIME. But when I show them the results of my travel project, they understand the POWER of this media, and that everyone with a computer and a modem can use it. They are very fascinated, and want to hear 'all the stories' and how RIME works out. Be aware of the power in the RIME net, and tell about it to people that don't even own a computer. More people using RIME will directly increase the power and possibilities. =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= 3 - MICHAELANGELO'S REAL MESSAGE by Don Tennant - ComputerWorld =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= The Michelangelo virus has come and gone, neither the painter's reputation nor the industry will ever be quite the same. Before long, some pollster will undoubtedly publish a survey indicating that in response to the question, "Who or what is Michelangelo?", 98.6% of the respondents look away from the television long enough to say, "Duh, it's a computer virus." Now that the subject of computer viruses has made it into the media mainstream - thanks in large part to whatever cute prankster gave us the Michelangelo strain - the industry has suddenly begun to change. ANTIVIRUS BOOM So far, the biggest alteration has been the meteoric rise of anti- virus products. Previously obscure antivirus packages are now the hottest selling desktop software items on the market, and overnight it has become fashionable to drop the clever names of other impending viruses at swank social gatherings. VIC Computer, a Hong Kong company that sells antivirus software, has compiled a preview of some of the coming attractions (as a public service, no doubt). There's the Prudent Virus in May, Tiananmem on June 4, Blood Virus in August, Cascade Virus in September, Data Crime in October, another Jerusalem attack in mid-December, 1253 Anti-CAD Virus in late December and, of course, Christmas Virus on Dec. 25 - Joy to the World. But what hasn't hit with full force yet is the realization that viruses can be caught from legitimate products -- that they aren't just caught by rogues in networks or casual contact with shareware. When that becomes clear -- when customers start to realize that they can become infected, even if they carry a credit card to purchase original software from reputable dealers -- the software industry is going to have to either change its practices quickly or cope with a mean backlash from users. The evidence is already there, for anyone who looks. For example, Novell customers who received the December release of the network giant's support encyclopedia got a free bonus: the Stoned III virus. At about the same time, resellers in the U.S. received 500 computers from Leading Edge Products with Michelangelo-infected hard disks. Then in February, Da Vinci Systems mailed 900 infected demonstration disks to customers and resellers. And this month, Intel announced that a virus had infected one of its print utilities. And the list goes on. A Hong Kong computer consultant recently reported that all seven disks in a sealed Microsoft Windows 3.0 package purchased from a distributor were infected with a sophisticated virus that began to do damage as soon as he installed it on a client's network. WAKE-UP CALL FOR VENDORS One concern that is sure to crop up in the wake of these reports is that users will cite them to rationalize buying pirated software or to defend making illegal copies themselves. If that outcome is to be prevented, software manufacturers must take their customers' reports of shrink-wrapped viruses seriously. That means taking immediate measures to assist and compensate those customers and initiating well-publicized steps to prevent a recurrence. [Don Tennant is editor of ComputerWorld Hong Kong] [Submitted by Inez Harrison] =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= 4 - THE INNER VIEW by Inez Harrison Node ID ->MOONDOG =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= Interview with Kyle Watkins (SemWare Technical Support) When I began BBSing, posting messages was shapeless and a chaotic mass. Soon there was light and I discovered QEdit. I looked at QEdit and saw that it was good! Kyle Watkins from SemWare has been kind enough to shed some light on the goodness of QEdit, a most marvelous page editor, with us all. Q: Kyle, who is/are responsible for the creation of QEdit? A: Sammy Mitchell, the founder of SemWare, is the original author. However, many additional people have had a hand in the "total package" that makes up QEdit. Some of the SemWare employees who have contributed to the current version (2.15) include Bobbi Mitchell, Steve Watkins, Kyle Watkins, and Richard Blackburn. Q: Why was QEdit created? A: Sammy originally started SemWare as a software consulting firm. He quickly found that he needed a compact, quick editor to go along with several of the projects he worked on. That is where QEdit got its start. Q: Tell us about QEdit? A: QEdit is a small (less than 45K) .exe file, which will function in as little as 64K of conventional free memory. QEdit is known for being fast, compact, easy to use, and surprisingly powerful. The configuration program (Qconfig.exe) allows the user to set the colors, default state of toggleable commands, operation options, and keyboard layout (including macro assignments) so that once configured, all that is necessary to run QEdit is the single Q.exe file. Imagine having all of QEdit's power within 45K of disk space! The keyboard is reconfigurable so that most keystroke sequences can be tailored to the user's needs and familiarity. QEdit has a keyboard macro capability as well as the ability to use macros which have been created in a separate external macro file, allowing use of QEdit's rich set of commands (which also includes commands for conditional logic). Through the use of macros, repetitive tasks can be automated and executed with a single keystroke. QEdit has command-line switches which allow Loading and/or executing external macro files on start-up of the editor. Executing a macro on start-up allows QEdit to be an integral part of an automated batch file process wherever text manipulation, without user intervention, is required. Pull-down menus allow direct access to most basic commands. Support for using many non-standard screen modes (i.e., support for larger than 80x25 screens). Edit as many files as will "fit" into conventional memory. Ability to load a file from the command line and then go directly to a specific line. A "pick" menu of possible files to edit. Ability to load a set of wildcarded filespecs. QEdit is the "Perfect" front-end for your favorite Word Processor. BASIC COMMANDS INCLUDE: Three basic Block marking commands: 1) Line Based; 2) Character Based (3 types); 3) Column Based. Set of commands to manipulate marked blocks of text (copy, move, delete, print, sort, change case, fill, etc.). A Scrap buffer area for data storage. QEdit's "Paste" command allows this data to be inserted into numerous locations of a file and within QEdit's prompt boxes. A set of up to 99 Scratch buffer areas for storing data that will be reused in subsequent operations. Direct file import and export to/from a named disk file. Commands to switch between 25-line display and 43/50 line display within the editor, when operating on an EGA/VGA display. Global Search and SearchReplace commands. Options exist to limit a Search and/or SearchReplace to a marked block area of text. Wordwrap, autoindent, and paragraph reformatting commands. Commands to insert current Time and Date. Ability to enter ANY ASCII character into the user's text. Case changing commands (3 types) that act on the current cursor position or within a marked block of text. Commands to shift blocks of text and center text. Commands to split the screen into multiple windowed views of the same file and/or other files which are loaded. Commands to go directly to a specific line and/or column. Commands to manipulate the screen display. Commands to Print the current file or a marked block portion of a file. Command to "Pause" a macro and allow user input. Commands for use with Conditional testing within macros to satisfy most text manipulation requirements. In all, QEdit has more than 100+ user commands. Q: What language is QEdit written in? A: The original versions (1.0 - 2.08) were written in Borland's Turbo Pascal. In 1989, we decided to create an OS/2 version, and at the time, C seemed like the best choice for DOS and OS/2 compatibility, so we switched. We liked it so much that, since then, all new development has been in C. Over the years we have used several C compilers, including Desmet, Borland, Zortech, Microsoft and Watcom. We currently do all our development with Borland C, and switch to Watcom C for beta and production versions. Q: How do you keep QEdit so small, fast, and yet powerful? A: We do extensive analysis on the algorithms used in QEdit, and are not afraid to re-write major portions if someone comes up with a faster and/or more compact way of accomplishing a given task. Plus, significant portions of the editor are written in assembly language, which is sometimes the only way to efficiently handle mixed-model 8086 programming. We could more quickly churn out an editor that was somewhat larger and slower, but from tallying customer feedback, our users really do appreciate our attention to details, and to the small size and blazing speed that make QEdit unique. Q: Many programs requiring an editor suggest using QEdit. What makes it so versatile? A: Various features of QEdit make it ideal for use with other programs: - small in size, works within a limited memory situation. - is user configurable. - contains a rich set of commands to make text entry swift and painless. - has an easy to use pull-down menu system for those just getting started. Q: What program(s) are you currently working on? A: We have been hard at work on a virtual memory version of the editor (which will allow editing files larger than conventional memory). =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= 5 - STOLEN FROM THE CONFERENCES: =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= Posted by MIKE LAMBERT in the DATAPROT conference: Date: Thu, 09 Apr 92 11:17:13 -0700 From: lsefton apple.com Subject: MAJOR VIRUS ALERT!! :-) -----> M A J O R V I R U S A L E R T <----- * George Bush Virus - Doesn't do anything, but you can't get rid of it until November. * Ted Kennedy Virus - Crashes your computer but denies it ever happened. * Warren Commission Virus - Won't allow you to open your files for 75 years. * Jerry Brown Virus - Blanks your screen and begins flashing an 800 number. * David Duke Virus - Makes your screen go completely white. * Congress Virus - Overdraws your disk space. * Paul Tsongas Virus - Pops up on Dec. 25 and says "I'm Not Santa Claus". * Pat Buchanan Virus - Shifts all output to the extreme right of the screen. * Dan Quayle Virus - Forces your computer to play "PGA TOUR" from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. 6 days a week. * Bill Clinton Virus - This virus mutates from region to region. We're not exactly sure what it does. * Richard Nixon Virus - aka the "Tricky Dick Virus" you can wipe it out, but it always makes a comeback. * H. Ross Perot Virus - same as the Jerry Brown virus, only nicer fonts are used, and it appears to have had a lot more money put into its development. =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= 6 - STAR TREK TYPING TUTOR!!! A review by Patrick Grote Node ID ->SHRPT =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= PROGRAM: TYPE TREK - Typing Tutor with the Federation AUTHOR: Joe Kretschmer (ASP Member) Tea Time Software 92 Acorn Circle Oxford, Ohio 45056 RELEASED: August, 1991 REGISTRATION: $20.00 RESTRICTIONS: None RATING: 7.7 out of 10 NAME/SIZE: TYPETREK.ZIP, 66k Typing is a necessary evil in the world of personal computing. It is akin to a key that opens a marvelous treasure trove of information and programs. Without the key, though, one can wander aimlessly in search of information without avail. TYPETREK takes the redundant, methodical approach to teaching typing and erases it from the playing field. No longer does the computer simply beep when you type things wrong, but now aliens appear and attack. Based on the old mainframe based Star Trek games, TYPETREK combines the seriousness of typing with the joy and ease of game playing. One becomes the mythical Kirk or Picard as they learn how to type "Fad dad" or "Quit tot" to blow Klingons out of space. The documentation to TYPETREK is complete, where the most impressive section of the documentation is entitled BASICS OF TOUCH TYPING. Encompassed in this section is an excellent introduction to new users into the basics of touch typing. Using simple ASCII characters, the author does a wonderful job of enabling people to understand finger positioning and rotation while typing. To begin the program, type TTK. I wonder why the author chose the letters TTK to start the program and not just TT. Users of the program may have a tough time finding one key, let alone two keys. As the program finishes loading, you notice one of the cleverest ad screens you will ever see. The typewriter in the bottom, right hand corner starts typing a mini-ad for the program. A neat diversion the first few times you run the program, but a bore after the fourth time. There is no way to skip this animation. When the main program first appears, you notice that the screen is divided into three separate areas. The first area is a keyboard reproduction that shows all the keys on a standard keyboard. The second area, which is directly above the keyboard, shows you a view of what the Captain of the Enterprise might see in space. The third area, an information area, is to the right of the keyboard. The information area details what words need to be typed to enter commands to the Enterprise and what the status is on your typing. The main menu pops up in the space view area, offering choices that include START A NEW GAME, RESUME A GAME IN PROGRESS, PLAYING INSTRUCTIONS, BASICS OF TOUCH TYPING, REGISTRATION INFO and EXIT TO DOS. START A NEW GAME draws you into the federation's fight with the Klingon empire. Your command of the Enterprise is controlled via the words you type. A word like "Fad dad" could fire a torpedo for instance. Thus, the screen to the right becomes your control panel. As you see Klingons or Star Bases in your current quadrant, you can either Fire Phasers, Shoot a Torpedo, Dock with a Base or call the Computer. Each time you issue a command, the words you must type for a command change. So, the first time you fire your phasers you may be required to type "Daf faf," but the next time you fire your phasers you may need to type "Saf das." If you start taking too much time, more and more Klingons start entering your part of space and things get crowded. At this point, you can summon the computer for help in moving the Enterprise out of the area. If the Enterprise is hit, the author has made a catchy scene occur. You must speed type letters as they appear that correspond to sections of the ship that must be fixed. You soon find out that you need to keep your eyes glued to the right of the screen. At first, I thought this would be a problem, but the author has added a neat dialog bar in the middle of the screen that lets you see what you are typing. As well, the keys light up to show you which ones to strike, then flash when you strike them. A problem with the shift keys, though. They are not accurate. If the left shift key is lit and you hit the right one, the computer lets you go on. As you move through the galaxy, you defeat Klingons and hopefully your typing increases. As you complete a level, the author treats you to a pretty neat ASCII graphics show. The game then moves to the next level and play continues. RESUME A GAME IN PROGRESS allows you to keep playing a game you interrupted by hitting escape. A sorely missed save feature would be nice. PLAYING INSTRUCTIONS AND BASICS OF TOUCH TYPING are on-line versions of what is in the documentation. A spiffy touch would have been the ability to be instructed in touch typing for each specific level, not just the basics. REGISTRATION INFO shows you an address to send the money for registration. As a side note, you need to read the file POEM.COM -- it is great! EXIT TO DOS puts you back into the operating system. Though lacking flashy graphics or spiffy interfaces, TYPETREK does make the job of learning to type entertaining. Though it may have a limited audience in those who are Trek fans, the program does an adequate job. Rating Breakdown: ---------------- Performance : No bugs. Should have had a save game feature and the 7 out of 10 ability to save scores historically. Documentation : Thirteen pages, well written. Though a little too much 4 out of 5 dedicated to legalese and the plight of the shareware author. Ease of Setup : Type TTK after unzipping and answer one question. 5 out of 5 Ease of Learning: Easy if you have played Trek. May be intimidating for 3 out of 5 people who haven't. Ease of Use : Once you get into the swing of things, it works well. 4 out of 5 Error Handling : The ESCAPE key would not exit certain parts of the 3 out of 5 program such as the navigation screen. Mean rating: 27 out of 35 or a 7.7 rating. (C) 1992 - Patrick Grote, 116 Elm Street, Ballwin, MO 63021 -=> For Reprint Permission, Please Write <=- =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= 7 - CONFERENCE NEWS by James Wall Node ID ->DREAM =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= New conferences added since April 1, 1992: NAME: DIRECTORY COMMANDER (dCOM) NUMBER: 172 DESCRIPTION: Vendor support, questions and answers for dCOM - The Directory Commander. Beta support will be accomplished here via private R/O mail only. Users of dCOM are encouraged to participate and provide answers to common (and not so common) questions to other users. HOST: Lee Fuller Node ID ->THEMCP NAME: Pre-press/Print (PrePrint) NUMBER: 271 DESCRIPTION: This is a forum to discuss the latest developments in the prepress and printing industries. Special focus on interfacing DTP with high-end publishing systems and existing print technology. HOST: Jim Fennell Node ID ->THEPUB NAME: GARDENS NUMBER: 286 DESCRIPTION: A general interest conference for home gardeners. Topics would include vegetable gardening, flower gardening, indoor gardening, bonsai etc. HOST: Mike Coticchio Node ID ->RUNNINGB NAME: MUSTANG SUPPORT (Mustang) NUMBER: 219 DESCRIPTION: This conference is Mustang's Support Conference for the Wildcat BBS package. It will cover technical and non-technical issues relating to the Wildcat BBS Software and Mustang Utilities. HOSTS: Mustang Support Staff David Dean Node ID ->OLDTOWN -------------------------------------------------------------------------- The following conferences have had description changes: NAME: QMODEM NUMBER: 59 DESCRIPTION: This conference discusses one of the most popular communications programs available for modem communication with bulletin board and other host systems. Direct support from Mustang Software. HOSTS: Mustang Support Staff Michael Meacham Node ID ->GRAPEVNE NAME: WILDCAT! NUMBER: 138 DESCRIPTION: This conference is for sysops and users of Wildcat to dialogue and discuss issues surrounding using Wildcat and non-Mustang third party utilities. HOST: Tim Saari Node ID ->ZARNO NAME: SLMR/OLX NUMBER: 260 DESCRIPTION: Support for SLMR (Silly Little Mail Reader) and OLX (Offline Xpress) from Mustang Software. HOSTS: Mustang Support Staff Albert Tanone Node ID ->MAGNET --------------------------------------------------------------------------- The following are new Conference Hosts: David Lecin Node ID ->RUNNINGB is now hosting Procomm (134). Brad Hughes Node ID ->GODFTHR is now hosting Scouting (147). Ric Johnson Node ID ->GTBBS is now co-hosting Debate (3), along with Keith Standifer. Fleet Teachout Node ID ->HNIS is now hosting Roots (36). David Pollard Node ID ->RENAIS is now hosting Comparative Religious Writings (178). --------------------------------------------------------------------------- The Ecology conference has been discontinued. Ecological topics may be continued in the Environmental Issues conference (273) hosted by Bob Covington Node ID ->CAPCORN. =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= 8 - WHO'S WHO AND WHAT'S WHAT by Patrick Lee Node ID ->RUNNINGB =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= The following is a list of "Who's Who" in RelayNet: Steering Committee: Bonnie Anthony RUNNINGA Rex Hankins IBMNET Howard Belasco RUNNINGB JThomas Howell MORE Mike Glenn PARTY Conference related: Paul Hileman BAYOU Conference Liaison (handles all intra-conference problems) Rick Kingslan OMAHANET Marketing Coordinator (PR) James Wall DREAM Conference Manager Patrick Lee RUNNINGB Statistician AUTOSEND lists: Bonnie Anthony RUNNINGA Nodes listing (RIME.ZIP) James Wall DREAM Conference list (CONFLST.ZIP) James Wall DREAM Conference list (RIMECONF.ZIP) BBS software that currently has an UTI interface with PCRelay: dBBS MajorBBS Remote Access Auntie Maximus Spitfire EIS PCBoard/ProDoor TriTel GAP QuickBBS UltraBBS GT Power RBBS Wildcat! The Maximus UTI has been released. (It was listed in the April RIME Times but it was not released at that time; it is now.) The filename is MXUTI21A.LZH and can be found on the author's support board at (513) 237-7737. =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= 9 - NOTICES =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= RIME Times will now be dispatched by Bonnie Anthony to all nodes in the network. No AUTOSEND list is required. --------------------------------------------------------------------------- To make life easier for the staff, the following submittal guidelines are suggested: 1) To be included in the next month's newsletter, articles must be received by the 15th of the current month. 2) A routed, receiver-only (private) message in the COMMON conference is acceptable. Please address and route to: Curt Akin Node ID ->MORE. 3) Your name as used on RIME. 4) Your Node ID if you are a RIME SysOp or your "home" board ID if you are a RIME user. 5) Any special instructions. --------------------------------------------------------------------------- Notice: 1. The RIMENEWS Conference (200) is a READ ONLY conference. Node SysOps can force this conference to be read only by adding the following line immediately after the EXPORT: PKZIP -d .RLY *.200 2. RIME distribution files which used to be identified with MMYY in their file names are now identified YYMM. This change makes RIME files appear in date sequence in sorted listings. --------------------------------------------------------------------------- The RIME Times is published monthly by the membership of RelayNet International Message Exchange as its official newsletter. Users and SysOps are encouraged to contribute. Submittals and questions may be directed to the editor, Curt Akin, Node ID ->MORE. (c) Copyright 1992, The RelayNet International Message Exchange. Permission is hereby granted for unlimited distribution and duplication, provided such distribution and duplication are strictly for noncommercial purposes and that no alterations are made to any file contained in the distribution archive. All other rights reserved. RelayNet and RIME are registered trademarks.