±±±±±±Ü ±±Ü ±±±Üܱ±±Ü ±±±±±±Ü ±±±±±±Ü ±±Ü ±±±Üܱ±±Ü ±±±±±±Ü ±±±±±±Ü ±±Ûß±±Û ±±Û ±±Û±±Û±±Û ±±Ûßßßß ß±±Ûßß ±±Û ±±Û±±Û±±Û ±±Ûßßßß ±±Ûßßßß ±±±±±Ûß ±±Û ±±Û ßß±±Û ±±±±±Ü ±±Û ±±Û ±±Û ßß±±Û ±±±±±Ü ±±±±±±Ü ±±Ûß±±Ü ±±Û ±±Û ±±Û ±±Ûßßß ±±Û ±±Û ±±Û ±±Û ±±Ûßßß ßßß±±Û ±±Û ±±Û ±±Û ±±Û ±±Û ±±±±±±Ü ±±Û ±±Û ±±Û ±±Û ±±±±±±Ü ±±±±±±Û ßß ßß ßß ßß ßß ßßßßßß ßß ßß ßß ßß ßßßßßß ßßßßßß ÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍ NOV RELAYNET INTERNATIONAL MESSAGE EXCHANGE NEWSLETTER 1990 ÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍ ÚÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ¿ ³Canada Germany Mexico Norway³ ³ ³ Scotland ³ ÚÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ¿ ÃÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ¿ ³ ³USA ³ ³ ³ ³ ³ ÉÍÍÏÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÏÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍ» ³ ³Lichtenstein ³ º º ³ ³ ³ ÚÄÄÄÄÄÄÄĶ º ³ ³ ³ ³ º R E L A Y N E T º ³ ³ Japan ÀÄÄÄ´ º º ³ ³ ÚÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ´ º ÇÄ¿ ³ ³ ³ ³ ÈÍÍÍÍÍÍÑÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍͼ ³ ³ ³ ³ ³ ³ ³ ³ ³ ³ ³Portugal ³ Puerto Rico³ ³ ÀÄÄÂÄÄÄÄ´ ÀÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÂÄÄ´ ³ ³ ³ ³Australia ³ ³ ³ ³ ³ ÀÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÂÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÙ ³United Kingdom ³ ³ ³ ³ Guam ÀÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÙ ³ ³ ³ ³ ³Denmark ³ ³ ÀÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ´ ³ ³Holland Yuglosavia Peru Saudi Arabia³ ÀÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÙ ÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ The RIME Times is published monthly by the membership of RelayNet International Message Exchange as its official newsletter. Users and Sysops are encouraged to contribute. Submissions and questions may be directed to the editors John Dodson, node ->CANTINA or Ed Lazarowitz, node ->CAPCON. (c)Copyright 1990, The RelayNet International Message Exchange. Permission is hereby granted for unlimited distribution and duplication, provided such distribution and duplication are strictly for non-commercial purposes only. All other rights reserved. RelayNet and RIME are registered trademarks. ÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ ------------------------------------------------------------- NOV RELAYNET INTERNATIONAL MESSAGE EXCHANGE NEWSLETTER 1990 ------------------------------------------------------------- CONTENTS EDITORS FILE 2 by John Dodson, Node id ->CANTINA CONFERENCE NEWS 2 by Skip Ross, Node id ->ACC A REQUEST FOR HELP 4 by Chris Shergold, Node id ->HOSPITAL RIME FAMILY TREES 5 'C' TUTOR 6 by Doug Maclean, Node id ->RUNNINGB BEGINNERS CORNER 7 by Jim Daly, Node id ->TREASURE SAY WHAT! 8 Submitted by Dan Deady, Node id ->PGHS THE LEGAL CORNER 10 by James J. Spinelli, Node ID ->VMC POETRY CORNER 13 Submitted by Inez Harrison, Node id ->MOONDOG NEW CONTEST! 14 by John Dodson, Node id ->CANTINA NOTES FROM ADMIN 14 by Bonnie Anthony, Node id ->RUNNINGA AS SEEN ON THE BIT STREAM 17 NOTICES 17 Page 2 --------------------------------------------------------------------------- NOV RELAYNET INTERNATIONAL MESSAGE EXCHANGE NEWSLETTER 1990 --------------------------------------------------------------------------- +---------------------------------+ | EDITORS FILE | | | +---------------------------------+ by John Dodson, Node id ->CANTINA Welcome to the November issue of RIME Times! We are running a little behind this month. I think the past month has been busy for everyone, myself included. Funny how our real lives can be so intrusive! In any case, our great group of regular contributors came through again! More top notch articles from Doug Maclean and Jim Daily. Skip Ross is back as conference coordinator. Jeff Woods is back with another humorous article. We dug through our huge inventory of articles to find a previous submission by James Spinelli that never made it to print. So without further ado and before December rolls around ...we are off to the presses! A Happy Thanksgiving to all and we'll see you on the next relay! +---------------------------------+ | CONFERENCE NEWS | | | +---------------------------------+ by Skip Ross, Node id ->ACC (Welcome back Skip!) I would like to announce RIME' newest conference! Please welcome: NAME: PARADOX Software NUMBER: 205 DESCRIPTION: This conference will cover Paradox and its uses. This includes direct use, application development, and new and effective means of utilizing this powerful tool. HOST: Scott Avera Node ID ->CONEX Co-Host: Tim Meade Node ID ->CONEX ACTIVITY: NEW This conference is in slot #205, which was set for a temporary conference for the author of the PALRUN software, Bob Tolz. We have replaced the conference because it was a limited run conference, for bet testing of the software, which is now in release, so please make a note of this. Thanks! NAME: Medieval NUMBER: 239 DESCRIPTION: This conference is for members and would-be members of Neo-Medieval organizations, such as the Society for Creative Anachronism, or the Markland Society. It is for discussion of medieval re-creation, Page 3 --------------------------------------------------------------------------- NOV RELAYNET INTERNATIONAL MESSAGE EXCHANGE NEWSLETTER 1990 --------------------------------------------------------------------------- combat rules, supply sources, organization membership, and other related items. HOST: Bart Lidofsky Node ID ->RUNNINGB ACTIVITY: NEW NAME: Animal Rights NUMBER: 240 DESCRIPTION: Topical discussions and reprint publications concerning Animal Rights related issues and items of interest. Learn what YOU can do to help prevent cruelty to animals, both domestic and wild. HOST: Mark Robbins Node ID ->SSANCTUM ACTIVITY: NEW I would like to announce a change in the Hosts of our Macintosh Conference (netnode #20). Please make welcome Yi Sun of Node ID ->CHANNEL. I would like to make a special announcement regarding our New Conference Host for the Mens Conference (netnode #120) Everyone, please make welcome Tom Revay from Node ID ->CHANNEL Tom brings with him a treasure chest of experience in that conference, and will provide the best guidance available. (and from Dan Deady, node ID ->PGHS) We are currently performing a review of all conferences and ask that all Conference Hosts and CoHosts please respond to this request. Hosts and CoHosts ONLY please! In order to keep our data current and up to date we ask that the Host/CoHost provide the following information in the following format using as an example: Name Of Conference: 4$SALE National Number: 2 (Note National and NOT Local Board Number!) Host Name And ID: Howard Belasco ->RUNNINGB CoHost(s) And ID(s): None Host Network: RIME Send this information ROUTED and RECEIVER ONLY (if possible using the software that you have) to DAN DEADY at node ID ->PGHS. I will have WATCH.RLY turned on to aid me in the gathering of this information. As I carry only 181 conferences I will not be able to receive through your conference at PGHS if your conference is not carried here. So I ask that you see WASHPCB instead of PGHS as the originating system for this request, please send your response to me using Network Administration (National Number 25) or Conference Hosts (National Number 163). I will respond to you in YOUR conference once your information has been received. If you Page 4 --------------------------------------------------------------------------- NOV RELAYNET INTERNATIONAL MESSAGE EXCHANGE NEWSLETTER 1990 --------------------------------------------------------------------------- host more than one conference, one message listing multiple conference names and numbers will be sufficient for our data needs. We will allow three weeks for this information to flow to PGHS. We ask that your response be here on PGHS by November 24th, a Saturday. Any conferences for which there is no response we will deem to be without a moderator (with the exception of conferences shared with other networks) and we will review the conference further for possible Host assignment or topic reassignment. Thank you in advance for your cooperation in this matter. Dan Deady - Conference Operations Manager +---------------------------------+ | A REQUEST FOR HELP | | | +---------------------------------+ by Chris Shergold, Node id ->HOSPITAL Hi, my name is Chris Shergold. I am 7 years old, and have been for four years. I have an inoperable brain tumor and I have a wish. I'd like to run up the largest bulk mail bill for sending the most Thank You cards, and have this listed in the Guiness Book of World Records. I contacted the Post Office in my home in Suffolk, UK, and they told me that most of your cards are still in Atlanta. I contacted the Postmaster General in Atlanta, and he cursed me up a storm (as a seven year old, I found many of the words he used fascinating. I told my mother what he said, and she called him a liar because her and daddy certainly WERE married), and then asked me if I wanted a job with the US Postal service. I figured that would be a good way to get my thank you cards delivered free (at least in Atlanta) and give me something to do with my last days, since waiting for the semi to drop off the day's mail soon got boring, and I don't understand WHAT Geraldo or Benny Hill are talking about on the telly. So, here I am in Atlanta, writing thank you letters to all of you kind folks who got me listed in Guiness the first time, and delivering them at the same time I return your original cards to you. Seems that the Make-A- Wish Foundation was real mad, too, since they had to rent a couple of new offices to hold the mail bags. When I went by to pick up those mail bags so I could write the thank you notes, again, the woman in charge there cursed me up a storm, and it was real fun. I told my father what she called me, and he said they were all wrong about mommy. If I'm not HER her son, then who is the woman the worker called me the son of? Now I'm really confused, and I'm starting to wonder if I might have caused a few people some brain hemorrhages to match my tumor..... Anyway, my first day at work I managed to get 25 thank you cards written, and matched to the original cards so that they could be returned. The Page 5 --------------------------------------------------------------------------- NOV RELAYNET INTERNATIONAL MESSAGE EXCHANGE NEWSLETTER 1990 --------------------------------------------------------------------------- first door I went to personally thank the people for their kindness were rather taken aback. "Aren't you dead" or something was how they put it. I assured them that I was very much alive. The man then said something like "Well I'll be a son of a...". So now I know who that woman the social worker was talking about is. I must admit, it looks like it'll take a bit longer for me to get this record than the receiving of cards. Hopefully the tumor won't do me in before then. The postmaster told me that I should receive a hefty pension should I finish the task. Now if I finish the job, how can the give me a 'pension? I'm already done, and there's nothing to s'pend me from? So I asked him about this, and again had to go to mommy for a translation of what he said. She told me that that was Daddy's job and not mine. Anyway, I have seen all of your messages that request cards for me, and I ask you to stop. If you really want to help, come on down to Atlanta and help me stuff envelopes with Thank You notes, and explain to me exactly WHAT my father's job is... I'm still confused. Sincerely, Chris Shergold Guiness Book Record Holder Most Get Well Cards Received (and a child of legitimate parentage so it would seem) (This is actually from our resident satirist Jeff Woods, node id ->MUSICAL) +---------------------------------+ | RIME FAMILY TREES | | | +---------------------------------+ HUBNRI-+ Mike | Labbe |- EAGLE Mike Labbe (Providence, RI) |- JOHNSON Mike Labbe (Providence, RI) |- EISHQ Justin Langseth(Warwick, RI) |- DARK Eugene Kim (Providence, RI) |- EXCELLNT Kenny Marold (Providence, RI) |- PHOENIX Jeff Whitman (Cranston, RI) | |- HUBRINET--+ | |- SIRIUS Matt Messier (Lincoln, RI) | +- COUNTRY Glenn Britland (Seekonk, MA) Page 6 --------------------------------------------------------------------------- NOV RELAYNET INTERNATIONAL MESSAGE EXCHANGE NEWSLETTER 1990 --------------------------------------------------------------------------- +---------------------------------+ | 'C' TUTOR | | | +---------------------------------+ by Doug Maclean, Node id ->RUNNINGB Did you ever want to redirect your compiler's output to a file so you can go over it later but still wanted to see what was going on. Want to send your program's output to the screen, several files and to the printer all at once? Here is a little program I ported from the Unix world that will do just that. It is called tee.exe and it is very simple to use. cl myfile.c | tee errors This command line will take the output of the MSC compiler and display it to the screen while it is sending it to the file errors. If you wish to append to the file instead of creating a new file use: cl myfile.c | tee -a errors If you have a makefile that compiles a lot of modules, this will let you see what is going on while the output will be safely stored in the errors file. You can also use the printer instead of or with the files. dir | tee prn direct will send the directory to the printer and to the file direct as well as the screen. Other valid "files" are lpt1:, lpt2:, com1:, com2: etc. Here is the code for the tee program. #include #include #include #include char buf[BUFSIZ]; void main(int argc,char **argv) { int fd[20], total=0, len, i, mode=0; if (argc > 1 && argv[1][0] == '-') if ((*++*++argv|' ') != 'a') { fprintf(stderr, "Usage: %s [-a] []...\n",argv[0]); exit(1); } else { argc--; mode=1; } Page 7 --------------------------------------------------------------------------- NOV RELAYNET INTERNATIONAL MESSAGE EXCHANGE NEWSLETTER 1990 --------------------------------------------------------------------------- if (argc == (fd[total++]=1)) fd[total++]=2; else while(++argv, --argc) switch (mode) { case 1: if ((fd[total]=open(*argv,O_RDWR )) != -1) { lseek(fd[total++], 0L, 2); break; } /* can't open, let's create */ case 0: if ((fd[total]=creat(*argv, 0666)) == -1) fprintf(stderr, "Cannot create %s\n", *argv, total); else total++; } while((len=read(0, buf, BUFSIZ)) > 0) for(i=total ; i-- ;) write(fd[i], buf, len); exit(0); } The program simply loops through all of the parameters and opens the files. The input is from the | DOS pipe symbol which redirects the previous program's output to tee. The IDC (TCXL) conference is open for business. Join us for tips on how to use this powerful 'C' library. Owner, Chip Rabinowitz is my co-host and is always there to help. I would also like to thank everybody for their patience over the last month. I am currently undergoing chemo therapy for a tumor on my elbow and had to cut down on some of my postings. I hope to be back in the full swing of things as soon as possible. Thanks to all. +---------------------------------+ | BEGINNERS CORNER | | | +---------------------------------+ by Jim Daly, Node id ->TREASURE A COMMUNICATIONS PRIMER ----------------------- BPS or BAUD? ------------ Probably the most misunderstood terminology involving Data Transfer relates to Data speed. Generally speaking, SERIAL Data Speed is expressed as the Page 8 --------------------------------------------------------------------------- NOV RELAYNET INTERNATIONAL MESSAGE EXCHANGE NEWSLETTER 1990 --------------------------------------------------------------------------- number of bits transmitted per second (bps). We will often hear the same figure referred to as Baud Rate, although bps and Baud are not always necessarily the same. When data speed is indicated in bps, the actual number of bits per second is specified. However, that is not true when the speed is given in Baud. We have already learned that data is transferred as electrical signals with the signal being either a 0 bit or a 1 bit. A Baud is a unit of signaling speed that measures the total number of electrical signals transmitted during one second-similar to the way that little glass tube in your backyard tells you how many inches of rain have fallen per hour. If only 1 bit is transmitted per second, the bit rate (bps) is the same as the Baud rate. However, with today's faster modems, typically more than 1 bit is sent in 1 signal and more than 1 signal is sent in one second. As an example, you may have a 2400 Baud Modem with an installed protocol that can send data at 9600 bps if 4 bits are sent per signal. SYNCHRONOUS or ASYNCHRONOUS Transmission ---------------------------------------- This subject tends to be a bit complicated so I'll start this month with a brief Overview of the 2 methods and continue in more detail next month. Actions that are done at regularly scheduled intervals are normally called SYNCHRONOUS activities. In the world of Communications, Synchronous means that the Data bits are sent down the line one immediately following the other with no delays in between. Here's a picture of SYNCHRONOUS data transfer (Sorry! No Synchronous at Disney World): |--------|--------|--------|--------| >-----| BYTE-4 | BYTE-3 | BYTE-2 | BYTE-1 |-----> |--------|--------|--------|--------| On the other hand, if a delay occurs between bytes (not necessarily between every pair of Bytes), the transfer is known as ASYNCHRONOUS. Here is another picture of an ASYNCH transmission: |--------|--------| |--------| |--------| >-----| BYTE-4 | BYTE-3 |---| BYTE-2 |--| BYTE-1 |-----> |--------|--------| |--------| |--------| Since most Micro Computers use ASYNCHronous Data transmission, I'll move along next month to an in-depth discussion of this method. +---------------------------------+ | SAY WHAT! | | | +---------------------------------+ Submitted by Dan Deady, Node id ->PGHS You do not have to read network mail very long to come across some unclear message posts. There are plenty of readers to correct (and make fun of) Page 9 --------------------------------------------------------------------------- NOV RELAYNET INTERNATIONAL MESSAGE EXCHANGE NEWSLETTER 1990 --------------------------------------------------------------------------- some ones misuse of the English language. You might enjoy the following sentences which are taken from actual letters received by the Welfare Department in application for support: 1. I am forwarding my marriage certificate and six children. I had seven but one died which was baptized on a half sheet of paper. 2. I am writing the Welfare Department to say that my baby was born two years old. When do I get my money? 3. Mrs. Jones has not had any clothes for a year and has been visited regularly by the clergy. 4. I cannot get sick pay. I have six children. Can you tell me why? 5. I am glad to report my husband who is missing is dead. 6. This is my eight child. What are you going to do about it? 7. Please find out for certain if my husband is dead. The man I now live with can't eat or do anything until he knows. 8. I am forwarding my marriage certificate and my three children, one of which is a mistake as you can see. 9. In answer to your letter, I have given birth to a son weighing ten pounds. I hope this is satisfactory. 10. I am very much annoyed to find that you have branded my son illiterate. This is a dirty lie, as I was married a week before he was born. 11. My husband got his project cut off two weeks ago and I haven't had any relief since then. 12. Unless I get my husband's money pretty soon I will be forced to live an immoral life. 13. You have changed my little boy to a girl. Will this make any difference? 14. I have no children as of yet, as my husband is a truck driver and works night and day. 15. In accordance with your instructions, I have given birth to twins in the enclosed envelope. 16. I want money as quick as I can get it. I have been in bed with the doctor for two weeks and he doesn't do any good. If things don't improve I will have to send for another doctor. Page 10 --------------------------------------------------------------------------- NOV RELAYNET INTERNATIONAL MESSAGE EXCHANGE NEWSLETTER 1990 --------------------------------------------------------------------------- +---------------------------------+ | THE LEGAL CORNER | | | +---------------------------------+ by James J. Spinelli, Node ID ->VMC INTENTIONAL INTERFERENCE WITH YOUR PROPERTY RIGHTS In this issue of RIME TIMES we begin discussion of the intentional interference with your property rights. We shall make every effort to lead our discussion in the direction of RIME network and BBS usage, relating the issues to an arena we are all familiar with. Part 1: Nuisances and What to Do About Them - Just as you have a right to freedom from interference with your personal rights, so you have a right to freedom from interference with your property rights. You have a right to unrestricted enjoyment and use of your real and personal property. Your right to the "quiet enjoyment" of your property protects you not only from trespass on it by uninvited persons but from certain things that others may do on or with their own property that cause you undue annoyance, inconvenience, discomfort, harm or injury. These are called "nuisances." There are two kinds of nuisances, public and private. The difference between then is the same on that is found throughout the law of torts: a public nuisance is one that interferes with the interest of your entire community (such as the RIME network), while a private nuisance is one affecting your interest only. A typical public nuisance in the RIME network, for example, would be someone who causes distress to the entire network community through improper conduct, defamation, and disregard for the network's rules, policies and guidelines so as to cause harm, injury, annoyance, inconvenience, discomfort, etc. to the members of the network as a whole. A private nuisance, on the other hand, is conduct by someone that interferes only with your freedom to enjoy the use of your property. (Of course, while the network may pursue a public nuisance situation, each member node can pursue a private nuisance situation.) The classic example is the "spite fence." In a real property environment this is a fence erected by your neighbor, on his property, to keep out sunlight and air from your property and generally to make you feel confined and hemmed in when there is no reason for it. A user, for example, fails to maintain proper decorum and courtesy so as to expose you and your property to annoyance, inconvenience, discomfort, harm or injury without justifiable reason, that is, he/she does things that jeopardizes the stability of your property and your enjoyment of it. Your remedies are what you might expect. For both public and private nuisances you and your fellow RIME members -- i.e., through the Steering Committee -- can seek an "injunction" -- that is, a court order to prevent someone from doing something -- ordering the offensive conduct to be Page 11 --------------------------------------------------------------------------- NOV RELAYNET INTERNATIONAL MESSAGE EXCHANGE NEWSLETTER 1990 --------------------------------------------------------------------------- stopped. Or you may sue for damages for the harm caused by the nuisance. Sometimes you can seek both. Frequently you will find that local ordinances prohibit the nuisance, so that it is worthwhile to consult the local public prosecutor and ask him to proceed in the name of the state against the person who is maintaining the nuisance. Much more legislation is likely to be enacted in years to come, especially dealing with computers and communications environments. Meanwhile, you and you fellow RIME users have a variety of weapons to use in really intolerable situations. You should consult an attorney in your state as to which of these weapons to use, when and how. Part 2: Keeping Others off Your Property - If someone comes onto your property, i.e., your BBS, without your permission, he has committed the tort of trespass, and you may sue him even though he does no damage whatever to your system. As the person legally in possession, you are entitled to the complete and unrestricted "quiet enjoyment" of your property. The amount of the damages you will be awarded depends on the circumstances of the case. For trespass and nothing more your damages may be nominal, or very small, but enough to assert your rights and to warn others not to interfere with them. However, at least as far as computer systems are concerned in many states, the trespasser may also violate criminal statutes and thereby face criminal penalties as well as civil penalties. In some states, such as New York, trespass into a computer system is considered a Class E felony, carrying a jail sentence of up to 5 years, a fine of up to $100,000, or both. However, at least as far as your own personal rights are concerned, you must assert your rights over your property or run the risk of losing some of those rights. If, usually over a period of years, you fail to mention and/or complain about trespassers, you will be considered to have surrendered your right to the exclusive use of your own property. In some cases you may actually lose the ownership of property entirely if you allow others to occupy and use it as if it were their own over a period of time. For example, if the Steering Committee of RIME failed to assert its "ownership" of RIME for a period of time (anywhere from 2 to 5 years), it very well may forfeit its ownership rights if, in the process, it has allowed others to use the network as if it were their own. This is why it is important, and why each of you should understand, that the Steering Committee every once and awhile needs to remind us as to just who really owns RIME and to sufficiently assert this ownership. It makes the reminder and assertion by defining operating and usage rules, procedures, policies and guidelines and in taking the appropriate steps to enforce them. The same may be applied to an individual BBS. If you allow others onto your BBS and they are free to use it as if it were their own system, you may find, though unlikely, that you may have lost some of your rights regarding BBS ownership and usage. (Of course, you could always simply turn it off. But, others may complain and, perhaps, have some claim as to what is on your BBS.) This is why it is important for you to every once and awhile assert your ownership rights. Page 12 --------------------------------------------------------------------------- NOV RELAYNET INTERNATIONAL MESSAGE EXCHANGE NEWSLETTER 1990 --------------------------------------------------------------------------- Part 3: The Misuse of Your Personal Property - The law provides remedies for the intentional interruption of your right or interference with it regarding the use of your property. The tort of "conversion" involves this interference...as opposed to the tort of trespass. Conversion can be conduct intended to affect your property or conduct that, even though not intentionally wrong, is inconsistent with your right of ownership. The purchaser of goods stolen from you or the auctioneer who innocently sells them is also a converter, because even though he did not know it he has interfered with your control of your property. You are entitled to recover the value of the goods from him. In effect, the defendant in these cases is required to buy the goods from you at a forced sale. This is the reason you yourself should avoid buying anything of questionable or suspicious origin. (Think about the purchase of software that may not actually belong to the seller.) Other examples of conversion are -- and we'll use the example of co-sysops: (a) Your property is "borrowed" and used without your permission; (b) someone intentionally alters the property he is "borrowing"; (c) someone to whom you have "loaned" your property uses it in a different way from that upon which you had agreed. In these cases, your control of your property has been interfered with, and you are entitled to sue for the tort of conversion. (Also, there may be "contractual" relationships that have been breached -- such as that of "agency.") Part 4: Interference with Your Contractual and Business Relationships - You have a right to freedom from interference by others with your contractual relationships you have entered into. If you are a well-known programmer, commissioned to develop a program for someone, and another programmer induces the client to fire you and commission him instead, you may sue the other programmer for interference with your contract rights -- and sue the client for damages for breach of his contract with you. (You are unlikely, however, to recover your actual damages twice!) Malice or ill will need not be involved in this kind of interference, although a purely accidental interference might result in nominal, or very small, damages compared with the damages you might be awarded if you persuaded the court that the defendant set out to ruin your reputation as a programmer and succeeded. Part 5: Fraud, Deceit and Misrepresentation - You have a right to freedom from being improperly induced or persuaded to do something, or not to do something, by someone's trickery. What is involved in this tort is: (a) a conscious or knowing false statement made to you, (b) by someone who knew the statement was false, (c) with the intention that you would rely on it, (d) followed by your actual reliance on it and (e) your suffering as a result. The main thing for the person suing to establish is that he was consciously tricked and that if he had been given the correct information he would not have acted as he did. In this case, you should be wary when you are buying something, however, because courts recognize the right of a salesman to "puff," or exaggerate, Page 13 --------------------------------------------------------------------------- NOV RELAYNET INTERNATIONAL MESSAGE EXCHANGE NEWSLETTER 1990 --------------------------------------------------------------------------- within reason, the merits of his product. It might be difficult to prove that his exaggeration amounted to fraud or misrepresentation. In a future issue where we'll discuss what you can do if you are sued, i.e., IF YOU ARE SUED: DEFENSES OF PRIVILEGE. +---------------------------------+ | POETRY CORNER | | | +---------------------------------+ Submitted by Inez Harrison, Node id ->MOONDOG By Terri Schanz Untitled Would I cower in the darkness If I'd never seen the light? Or bask so, in the sunshine If I'd never known the night? And would the blooming of the lilacs Or the coming of the spring, Be as wondrous as it is Without the winter's sting? Would I appreciate the beauty If that was all I knew? And had I never seen the lie, Know when words ring true? If I'd never heard the music And my feet not moved to dance, Would the silence be so deafening? The stillness, like a lance? And had I never lost my way, And known the fear and pain, Would I have ever found the strength To wander once again? Had I not known the depths of passion, Nor loved with such despair, Would I have dared to reach the heights, And found you waiting there? by Maggie Milton A poem for a busy mother: Cleaning and scrubbing can wait til tomorrow Cause children grow up we learn to our sorrow So quiet down cobwebs and dust go to sleep Page 14 --------------------------------------------------------------------------- NOV RELAYNET INTERNATIONAL MESSAGE EXCHANGE NEWSLETTER 1990 --------------------------------------------------------------------------- I am rocking my baby and babies don't keep! +---------------------------------+ | NEW CONTEST! | | | +---------------------------------+ by John Dodson, Node id ->CANTINA The new contest will be announced next month. We are going to do a "real" contest this time complete with "real" prizes! So stay tuned and check this spot next month. (Answers to word puzzles submitted last month by Dan Deady) In any event, I wish not to leave all hanging on those extra puzzle questions so here are the answers: S. of the B., D. M. W. - South of the Border, Down Mexico Way D. D. the W. is D. - Ding Dong the Witch is Dead F. the Y. B. R. - Follow the Yellow Brick Road 100 B. of B. on the W. - 100 Bottles of Beer on the Wall F. S., I. D. G. A. D. - Frankly Scarlet, I Don't Give A Damn 16 M., O. A. D. M. C. (Y. H. H. A. A. B. O. R.) - 16 Men, On A Dead Man's Chest (Yo Ho Ho And A Bottle Of Rum) +---------------------------------+ | NOTES FROM ADMIN | | | +---------------------------------+ by Bonnie Anthony, Node id ->RUNNINGA Here are the minutes from our meeting of the weekend. STEERING COMMITTEE MEETING OCTOBER 13, 1990 The Steering Committee convened with four members present. They were Bonnie Anthony, Howard Belasco, Jim Spinelli and J. Thomas Howell. There was some discussion on revising the Conference Rules. A motion was made and seconded that Dan Deady's draft of a revised Conference Rules and Guidelines be reviewed. It passed. This draft was reviewed, discussion followed, and changes were made (enclosure (1)). A motion was made and Page 15 --------------------------------------------------------------------------- NOV RELAYNET INTERNATIONAL MESSAGE EXCHANGE NEWSLETTER 1990 --------------------------------------------------------------------------- seconded to accept the draft and changes as the new RIME Conference Rules. Passed. The rules are to take effect 12:00 Noon, Friday, October 19, 1990. A motion was made and seconded to send John Dodson a basket of fruit in recognition of his outstanding contribution to the RIME network and his efforts in editing and publishing RIME Times newsletter. Passed. A motion was made and seconded that Jim Spinelli should be Steering Committee Ethical Liaison for Conference Management issues. Passed. The Steering Committee reviewed a formal complaint made by Roger Sligar and Lee Parsons against Ken Pangborn. It was voted that, in light of the new conference rules, the following disciplinary action should be taken; an OFFICIAL WARNING should be issued by the Steering Committee to Ken Pangborn. The Women's Only Conference was taken under advisement by the Steering Committee which decided the following: a. "The Women's Only Conference" has been renamed "The Women's Invite Conference". b. This conference is available by invitation only and is open to all. Requests for invitations are to be addressed to Kathi Webster, the Conference Host at NODE GODFTHR. The growth of the Network was reviewed by the Steering Committee. Based upon the response from the mini conference, the subject of Network growth will be reviewed again when it reaches 750 NODES. The Steering Committee encourages all NODES to switch to Release software. The Steering Committee looks forward to the continued success of RIME in its coming 4th year. The meeting adjourned. I. GENERAL RIME CONFERENCE RULES *1. No illegal activities. Illegal activities, including promotion of illegal acts and promotion of software copyright infringement, will not be allowed in RIME. *2. No offensive or abusive language. The use of any word, group of words, expression, comment, suggestion, or proposal which is profane, obscene, lewd, lascivicious, filthy, indecent, or is ethnically, sexually, or racially demeaning is strictly prohibited within RIME. 3. No abuse of other users. Do not abuse the other users of this/these conference(s) by sending abusive, foul, or insulting messages. No abuse of Page 16 --------------------------------------------------------------------------- NOV RELAYNET INTERNATIONAL MESSAGE EXCHANGE NEWSLETTER 1990 --------------------------------------------------------------------------- other users on the basis of character, physical characteristics, religion, gender, sexual orientation, intelligence quotient, or ethnicity is allowed. Messages meant to harass or bully another user are not allowed. 4. Conference topics. Messages shall remain to the topic of the conference; i.e., this means that BBS Ads are to be ONLY in the BBS AD Conference, and messages containing ANSI codes are to be ONLY posted in the ANSI Conference, etc. 5. Do not "over quote" messages. Quoting should be limited to only enough to remind the original user of what was said or to provide for an adequate response. 6. Copying messages to other conferences. No one may copy, quote verbatim, or extensively quote from a message from one issue oriented conference to another without permission of the originator of the message. 7. Bombing the Net. Bombing the Network, or the practice of a user generating multiple non-related messages for the purpose of disrupting a conference or the Network is prohibited. 8. Misleading information. Messages that are specifically intended to mislead and deceive are considered to be disruptive to a conference. 9. Harassment. Messages meant to harass or bully another user are not allowed. 10. Any and all of the rules that are part of the RIME Bylaws are hereby incorporated here. 11. Differences of opinion. Differences of opinion that are over these rules in a conference are to be discussed in the NETADMIN or the USERS Conferences only. These differences may be discussed with the Conference Host in the conference by R/O and/or Routed message only, or with STEERCOM in the COMMON Conference by R/O message only *Denotes direct quote from bylaws. II. CONFERENCE MANAGEMENT 1. Establishing conferences. a. Seven nodes--2 of which must be hubs--must agree to carry a proposed conference. An individual who is acceptable to the CC must be willing to act as Conference Host before the conference can be activated. If all conditions are met, the CC will announce the conference within 10 days. The SC reserves the right to review all issues arising out of conference requests. Nodes which carry all RIME Network conferences cannot be included in this node count. b. The SC reserves the right to establish specialized conferences, such as vendor support conferences, announced through the CC. Page 17 --------------------------------------------------------------------------- NOV RELAYNET INTERNATIONAL MESSAGE EXCHANGE NEWSLETTER 1990 --------------------------------------------------------------------------- 2. Removal of conferences. The CC will monitor on a monthly basis conference activity using reports generated by the NETHUB. Conferences that do not meet established activity criteria will be subject to discontinuation the CC. 3. Conference Hosts are designated by the CC. Conference Co-hosts can only be assigned with the advanced consent of the CC; Conference Hosts can only recommend and cannot appoint Co-hosts directly. +---------------------------------+ | AS SEEN ON THE BIT STREAM | | | +---------------------------------+ TAGLINE OF THE MONTH: "------ Have someone READ THE DOCS to you! ------" (Used for special occasions by Ron Simonton, host of the MegaMail conference) MALFUNCTION OF THE MONTH: A MajorBBS sysop and/or MajorUTI dumps hundreds of old messages into the net (again!). TECHNICAL HURDLE AWARD: (With two outstanding entries, this month is a toss-up) After several weeks of trying Joan Widgderson gets control of her off-line reader (we think!). Truly a cause for celebration. As Howard would say: "GOOD FOR YOU!!!!! You have sent a message with a quote that does not have the tag lines in it. GREAT!!!!!!" Time to forge ahead and work on those margin settings! After several weeks of trying CHUCK (a new RIME sysop) has found his LAST name! It is GILMORE! +---------------------------------+ | NOTICES | | | +---------------------------------+ Current listing of Bulletin Board software participating in RelayNet: SpitFire GAP QuickBBS GT Power Remote Access MajorBBS PCBoard/ProDoor dBBS RBBS EIS Wildcat! Page 18 --------------------------------------------------------------------------- NOV RELAYNET INTERNATIONAL MESSAGE EXCHANGE NEWSLETTER 1990 --------------------------------------------------------------------------- To make life easier for the editor, the following submission guidelines are suggested: 1) To be included in the current month newsletter all articles must be submitted by the 5th of the month. 2) For short articles, a routed private message in either the COMMON or the ADMIN conference is acceptable. Please address and route to: John Dodson, node ->CANTINA or Ed Lazarowitz, node id ->CAPCON. 3) For long or multiple articles, an ASCII file uploaded directly to my BBS La Cantina! (915)532-0332 HST is preferred. Or if you are a sysop, I will call your BBS to pick up articles. 4) Your name as used on RIME. 5) Your node id if you are a RIME sysop or your "home" board id if you are a RIME user. 6) Any special instructions. Thanks!