±±±±±±Ü ±±Ü ±±±Üܱ±±Ü ±±±±±±Ü ±±±±±±Ü ±±Ü ±±±Üܱ±±Ü ±±±±±±Ü ±±±±±±Ü ±±Ûß±±Û ±±Û ±±Û±±Û±±Û ±±Ûßßßß ß±±Ûßß ±±Û ±±Û±±Û±±Û ±±Ûßßßß ±±Ûßßßß ±±±±±Ûß ±±Û ±±Û ßß±±Û ±±±±±Ü ±±Û ±±Û ±±Û ßß±±Û ±±±±±Ü ±±±±±±Ü ±±Ûß±±Ü ±±Û ±±Û ±±Û ±±Ûßßß ±±Û ±±Û ±±Û ±±Û ±±Ûßßß ßßß±±Û ±±Û ±±Û ±±Û ±±Û ±±Û ±±±±±±Ü ±±Û ±±Û ±±Û ±±Û ±±±±±±Ü ±±±±±±Û ßß ßß ßß ßß ßß ßßßßßß ßß ßß ßß ßß ßßßßßß ßßßßßß ÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍ SEP RELAYNET INTERNATIONAL MESSAGE EXCHANGE NEWSLETTER 1990 ÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍ ÚÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ¿ ³Canada Norway³ ³ ³ Scotland ³ ÚÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ¿ ÃÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ¿ ³ ³USA ³ ³ ³ ³ ³ ÉÍÍÏÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÏÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍ» ³ ³ ³ º º ³ ³ ³ ÚÄÄÄÄÄÄÄĶ º ³ ³ ³ ³ º R E L A Y N E T º ³ ³ Japan ÀÄÄÄ´ º º ³ ³ ÚÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ´ º ÇÄ¿ ³ ³ ³ ³ ÈÍÍÍÍÍÍÑÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍͼ ³ ³ ³ ³ ³ ³ ³ ³ ³ ³ ³Portugal ³ ³ ³ ÀÄÄÂÄÄÄÄ´ ÀÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÂÄÄ´ ³ ³ ³ ³Australia ³ ³ ³ ³ ³ ÀÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÂÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÙ ³United Kingdom ³ ³ ³ ³ ÀÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÙ ³ ³ ³ ³ ³Denmark ³ ³ ÀÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ´ ³ ³Holland Saudi Arabia³ ÀÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÙ ÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ The RIME Times is published monthly by the membership of RelayNet International Message Exchange as its official newsletter. Users and Sysops are encouraged to contribute. Submissions and questions may be directed to the editors John Dodson, node ->CANTINA or Ed Lazarowitz, node ->CAPCON. (c)Copyright 1990, The RelayNet International Message Exchange. Permission is hereby granted for unlimited distribution and duplication, provided such distribution and duplication are strictly for non-commercial purposes only. All other rights reserved. RelayNet and RIME are registered trademarks. ÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ --------------------------------------------------------------------------- SEP RELAYNET INTERNATIONAL MESSAGE EXCHANGE NEWSLETTER 1990 --------------------------------------------------------------------------- CONTENTS EDITORS FILE 2 by John Dodson, Node id ->CANTINA MEET THE CONFERENCE HOST 2 by Paul Segal, Node ID ->CAPCON IN SEARCH OF ACRONYMS 3 by Ed Lazarowitz, Node id ->CAPCON A RELAYNET LIMERICK 4 By Kathi Webster, Node id ->GODFTHR ROUTING MESSAGES 5 By Patrick Lee, Node id ->RUNNINGB CONFERENCE NEWS 8 by Skip Ross, Node id ->ACC OH CANADA, EH? 11 by Jeff Woods, Node id ->MUSICAL BEGINNERS CORNER 12 by Jim Daly, Node id ->TREASURE 'C' TUTOR 14 by Doug Maclean, Node id ->RUNNINGB THE LEGAL CORNER 18 by James J. Spinelli, Node ID ->VMC PUZZLE CONTEST! 22 NOTES FROM ADMIN 24 by Bonnie Anthony, Node id ->RUNNINGA AS SEEN ON THE BIT STREAM 24 NOTICES 25 Page 2 --------------------------------------------------------------------------- SEP RELAYNET INTERNATIONAL MESSAGE EXCHANGE NEWSLETTER 1990 --------------------------------------------------------------------------- +---------------------------------+ | EDITORS FILE | | | +---------------------------------+ by John Dodson, Node id ->CANTINA Welcome to the September issue of RIME Times! Lots of good articles in this issue! We get to meet Paul Segal, host of the Photography conference. Kathy Webster serves up a fine RelayNet limerick (I am now convinced the network contains a large proportion of avant garde poets ;-) ). The ever- present Patrick Lee explains all there is to know about routing messages. Our "regular" RIME Times contributors have come through again with another batch of fine articles: Humour by New-age Canadian (or is that Comedian?) Jeff Woods, more legal-speak by steering committee member James Spinelli, another technical 'C' column by Doug Maclean and a nice communications tutorial by our ever-patient tutor Jim Daly. Nine new conferences have been added in the past month! The growth of RIME continues to amaze me. New conferences and a slew of nodes are added each month. There are discussions going on now in the Mini-Admin and Net Users conferences about the rapid growth of RelayNet and whether this growth should be limited in any way. The coming month should prove to be interesting. If you have an opinion on the future growth of RelayNet, post it now! As you may have noticed we have changed the format a bit. The RIME Times now contains a separate banner page and table of contents page. I was tempted to make another contest out of the graphic design for the banner page but the page looked so bare I just had to fill it! I think the global nature of this electronic network of ours is most intriguing and I wanted the design to reflect this global fascination. If I have missed any countries, I apologize (and I am sure you will let me know forthwith! ). I hope you like the changes. See you on the next relay! +---------------------------------+ | MEET THE CONFERENCE HOST | | | +---------------------------------+ by Paul Segal, Node ID ->CAPCON My life can be divided into periods of when I was a photographer with diversified interests in the world around me and when I was active in the world around me with the hobby of photography, but I was always immersed in the magic of cameras and darkrooms. I've always thought that a photographer wasn't just a person with a camera but a person who understood the craft of the darkroom as well. My father loved the hobby too, and built a darkroom Page 3 --------------------------------------------------------------------------- SEP RELAYNET INTERNATIONAL MESSAGE EXCHANGE NEWSLETTER 1990 --------------------------------------------------------------------------- into our home; I learned part of the craft by watching him develop and print pictures. When I was eleven, I made my first color print by a process that was referred to as Washoff Relief (subsequently called Dye Transfer). Since then I have taught photography for the Air Force and supervised labs in both government and civil production. I have taught classes in light for several organizations and schools. I became involved with computers when I returned to school four years ago and found them at the very core of academic life. I moved up through Commodore 64, to an XT, to an AT, and I am at a point where I am fairly comfortable at the keyboard. This fall I will be a junior at University of Maryland, and I hope to be able to continue as the Photography Conference Host and my academic studies at the same time. I will be majoring in Sociology and possibly a minor in Criminal Justice. And if this amount of activity isn't enough, I will also be working at photography, too, with a new company called CAMERA OBSCURA. I am devoting the time I spend on the board, hoping that I will be able to pass along some of the things I have learned over the years. I am single and live in a detached house in Wheaton, MD with two cats (felines), Jess and Michele. Anyone interested in conversing on the topic of photography with me, can reach me through node id ->CAPCON (The Capitol Connection BBS). +---------------------------------+ | IN SEARCH OF ACRONYMS | | | +---------------------------------+ by Ed Lazarowitz, Node id ->CAPCON I thought it might be interesting to keep a sort of running list of all the various acronyms and abbreviations we use while messaging on RIME. I hope this can be a 'living list', with all of you contributing on a regular basis: AA - Adios Amigo! BRB - Be Right Back (most used in CHAT mode) BCNU - Be Seein' You BTW - By The Way CUL8R - See You Later FWIW - For What It's Worth IANAL - I Am Not A Lawyer IMCO - In My Considered (or Conceited) Opinion IMHO - In My Humble Opinion ITIWO - In The Immortal Words Of L8R, G8R - Later, Gator OTOH - On The Other Hand ROTM - Right On The Money Page 4 --------------------------------------------------------------------------- SEP RELAYNET INTERNATIONAL MESSAGE EXCHANGE NEWSLETTER 1990 --------------------------------------------------------------------------- RTFM - Read The F(antastic) Manual SC - Steering Committee TANSTAAFL - There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch TTFN - Ta Ta For Now TTMS - Talk (or Type) To Me Soon TTYL - Talk (or Type) To You Later TTYLA - Talk (or Type) To You Later, Alligator While the following are not true acronyms, they do convey information; albeit of a non-verbal form: :) - Smiley face (the : are the eyes, the ) is the smile), this statement or message is not to be taken seriously, or this is something pleasing, favorable :-) - Smiley face (with nose shown) :^) - Smiley face (alternate nose) 8) - Various smiley faces wearing glasses 8-) 8^) ;) - Wink (take this in jest, or not meant seriously) ;-) - Wink (nose, alternate nose) ;^) - More obvious smile - Obvious variation on the above theme :( - Various forms of a frown :-( :^( Anyone interested in adding to this list, please send their additions to me via COMMON in a Routed, R/O message. I'll be keeping track, and future updates will be posted in the RIME Times! +---------------------------------+ | A RELAYNET LIMERICK | | | +---------------------------------+ By Kathi Webster, Node id ->GODFTHR There is a fine network called RIME Which has been around for a time And thus this wee ode Comes forth from one node To call this a poem is a crime! Now first there's Bonnie to address Who runs the NETHUB she'll confess Where all messages meet Then disperse, what a feat! Much time and much effort, I'd guess! Then we know Howard Belasco, Page 5 --------------------------------------------------------------------------- SEP RELAYNET INTERNATIONAL MESSAGE EXCHANGE NEWSLETTER 1990 --------------------------------------------------------------------------- Who handles the "Common" fiasco Yeah, Bonnie's his sister And best call him 'Mister' He's one of tough guys ya know!<-Don't believe it! The "SC" means Steering Committee All members must be wise and witty Or else quite insane For what do they gain? On a good day, I'd say its my pity! The Conference Hosts come to play To keep bashers and weirdos at bay With much hocus pocus They keep the main focus Or as close as they can, I will say. The best part of RIME are the USERS. For the most part, devoid of abusers. From all over the world Their thoughts here unfurled. International message perusers. To end this, I'll say RIME is GREAT! (or at least beats a weekend blind date) Over 500 strong Adding more to the throng Stop lurking you folks and RELATE! +---------------------------------+ | ROUTING MESSAGES | | | +---------------------------------+ By Patrick Lee, Node id ->RUNNINGB One of the most under-utilized feature of PCRelay is routed messaging. This may be because some users do not know how to route a message, or maybe think that it is difficult to route. In any case, I hope to clear some of this confusion up and possibly also provide some faster means of sending a routed message. First, let me define what a "node ID" is. A node ID is a easy way to identify the individual nodes within RIME, because each board will have its own unique node ID. It consists of eight uppercase letters, and is generally the last tagline of a message. The node ID of the following tagline is RUNNINGA. ++++++++ PCRelay:RUNNINGA -> #2 RelayNet (tm) 4.10 The Running Board * 301 229-5342 * MD Page 6 --------------------------------------------------------------------------- SEP RELAYNET INTERNATIONAL MESSAGE EXCHANGE NEWSLETTER 1990 --------------------------------------------------------------------------- Due to the way the network software operates, a message entered by another user on the same board as you will not have a PCRelay tagline at the end of that message. In such a case, a simple R/O (private) message will be sufficient. After finding the sender's node ID, starting in column one of line one, type a dash and a greater than sign, followed by the node ID. It is very important that this character string be the very first line of the message to route. For example, to send a routed message to the Running Board BBS above, type "->RUNNINGA" as the first line of your message. And there your message goes as a routed message ... This is all you have to do in order to send a routed message! A routed message will only appear on the board you sent it from and the receiver's board, but no where else; thus it saves time and money for other Sysops who carry a particular conference so they don't have to pick up mail which is of no interest to their users. In addition, routed messages will certainly help reduce the already over-sized Common conference, which is a mandatory conference for the more than 550 nodes of RIME. From what I have been reading in Common, 25% (if not more) of those messages can be routed because they are of no interest to anyone except the sender and the receiver. The use of Routed messages will help all nodes of RIME to reduce the cost of transferring mail. An additional feature to the routed message function of PCRelay software, is the ability of the network software to generate a return receipt to the sender notifying of the arrival of the message on the recipient's board. To get a return receipt, simply place an asterisk directly after the node ID in the route request on the first line of your message. In other words, do the same thing you do to route a message, but add an asterisk after the node ID, like this: ->NODEID* So following my example above, to send a user on the Running Board BBS a routed message and request a return receipt, you will put "->RUNNINGA*" on the first line of the message. The return receipt generated by the PCRelay looks like the following: Msg #: 3807 Ref #: 3774 Date : 08-10-90 From : PCRELAY Time : 07:15 To : PATRICK LEE Conference: TurboPasc Subj : RETURN RECEIPT #4154 BBS Name : MOONDOG Your message of 08-10-90 07:15 to GERRY POWER Re:Batch file thread has arrived at CHANNEL PCRelay:CHANNEL -> #15 RelayNet (tm) 4.10 Channel 1 (tm) * 617-354-8873 * 36 Lines Keep in mind that the software does not know if the person the message is addressed to actually read the message or not -- it can only tell you Page 7 --------------------------------------------------------------------------- SEP RELAYNET INTERNATIONAL MESSAGE EXCHANGE NEWSLETTER 1990 --------------------------------------------------------------------------- whether the message is available to read on the board you sent the message to. Since this function generates an outgoing message, please do not overuse this -- if every routed message has a return receipt requested, mail packets will increase in size dramatically. Furthermore, if you send a routed message to a board which does not exists, PCRelay will send a message to you indicating such. A sample message header is: Msg #: 26256 Ref #: Date : 03-09-90 From : PCRELAY Time : 06:03 To : PATRICK LEE Conference: common Subj : UNDELIVERABLE MAIL BBS Name : NYRUN followed by the message you sent. This generally means that you typed a wrong node ID for the board you intended to route the message to. The last, but certainly not the least, feature of a routed message is this: If you send a routed message with the Receiver Only (R/O) flag on, the receiver will get the message regardless of whether the receiving BBS supports 'private' mail. Nor does it matter if that particular person has a private mail box opened with PCRelay or not. Normally, if you send a non-routed R/O message to a person, he or she must have a mail box open in order to receive it. However, with a routed R/O message, it will get to the receiver regardless of that. This is a powerful function if you want to send a private message to someone but do not know if he or she has a mail box open. To quote Bonnie Anthony, who says "Routed mail goes as long as the id code exists!" In order to make routing a message easier, I have a few macros which will automatically find the node ID of message you are replying to and put it at the proper place for you. Here they are: Macro for QEdit This macro assumes that the message you are replying to is in the current edit window you are calling this macro from. This macro can either be placed in a text file to be compiled by QMac QEdit macro compiler or as a long line in your QConfig keyboard configuration file. The initial state of the insert, word wrap, etc. toggles are not relevant to this macro and can be anyway you like. @r macrobegin endfile find "PCRelay:" return "b" return jfalse done: wordright markblockbegin find " ->" return "i" return markblockend begfile splitline splitline "->" copyblock unmarkblock cursordown cursordown begline done: Macro for WordPerfect 5.x This macro can be run in either insert or over-type mode. Simply record it using Ctrl-F10 or enter it directly using the macro editor. Page 8 --------------------------------------------------------------------------- SEP RELAYNET INTERNATIONAL MESSAGE EXCHANGE NEWSLETTER 1990 --------------------------------------------------------------------------- {DISPLAY OFF}{Home}{Home}{Up}{Enter}{Enter}{Home}{Home} {Down}{Search Left}PCRelay:{Search}{Block}{Search}ú-> {Search}{Left}{Left}{Left}{Move}bc{Home}{Home}{Up}->{Enter} Macro for Brief This macro, written by Doug MacLean (the host of the RIME Brief conference), for the Brief editor has already appeared in an earlier issue of the RIME Times. The macro can be found in the Brief conference or in the May 1990 (RIME0590.ZIP) issue of the RIME Times under the article "Brief Macros for EZ-Reader." [Editors note: The following is a partial message capture posted by Yan Juras and is a listing of the various ways messages can be sent. One warning: The "ALL SYSOPS" NETWORK SYSOP message is used *ONLY* for official network business. Unless you wish to receive the scorn of over 500 SysOps (I shudder at the thought!), please do not use it.] To Send a Message to: - a specific user, (To: name) - a specific user, on a specific BBS, (->BBS, To: name) - a specific user, R/O (R/O, To: name) (goes to all (0 or more) boards where person has a mailbox) - a specific user, on a specific BBS, R/O (->BBS, R/O, To: name) (does not require the person to have a mailbox anywhere) - ALL (To: ALL) - ALL users on a specific BBS (->BBS, To: ALL) - ALL SYSOPs (To: NETWORK SYSOP) - the SYSOP of a specific BBS, (->BBS, To: NETWORK SYSOP) - the SYSOP of a specific BBS, R/O (->BBS, R/O, To: NETWORK SYSOP) - the SYSOPs of the Nodes of a specific Hub, (->HUBNAME, To: NETWORK SYSOP) (knowledge of Sysop's name is not necessary for these) - ALL users on the Nodes of a specific Hub, (->HUBNAME, To: ALL) +---------------------------------+ | CONFERENCE NEWS | | | +---------------------------------+ by Skip Ross, Node id ->ACC Well folks, it is time again for some New conferences! Please welcome these! Also, please read the end of this message carefully. NAME: EDUCATION NUMBER: 220 DESCRIPTION: This conference will be the place for discussion of all aspects of modern education. HOST: Thomas Donnelly Node ID ->PGHS ACTIVITY: NEW Page 9 --------------------------------------------------------------------------- SEP RELAYNET INTERNATIONAL MESSAGE EXCHANGE NEWSLETTER 1990 --------------------------------------------------------------------------- NAME: Computer Addicts NUMBER: 221 DESCRIPTION: A place for all of us Computer Addicts to meet. HOST: Steve Fraioli Node ID ->COLLECT ACTIVITY: PRIVATE Now, for the most important part of this message. It is with deep regret that I must, at this time, announce my early retirement from the position of Conference Coordinator, and also the Hosting of the Conference Hosts Conference. It has been a very interesting tenure, during which I have gotten to meet a good many of our fellow RelayNetters, and also have had the great pleasure of initiating some of our best conferences. As RIME has grown rapidly in the last year, so has my own personal BBS, and it has become too hard for me to manage both duties efficiently. Along with this message I will be releasing the last version of the Conference List written by myself to everyone on the automatic send list, and from henceforth, I will no longer honor any requests for this file through my board. Please request this from Netnode in the future, or until the Steering Committee names a new C.C. Thank You, everyone, for an enjoyable time! Skip Ross [Editors note: Skip has done such an outstanding job that we hope (along with everyone else!) he is just taking a "sabbatical" leave. Bonnie Anthony is temporarily taken Skip's duties as conference coordinator. More conference news from Bonnie follows.] Here are some new conferences for your consideration. They look interesting, so let's get them off to a good start: NAME: Audio NUMBER: 222 DESCRIPTION: Discussions centering around the latest news and information in the home audio field. Reviews, general information, and limited ads from private and public sellers are accepted. The emphasis is on high-end audio equipment and recording techniques, but all are welcomed regardless of level of experience. HOSTS: Frank White Node ID ->MAGNET Collin Turner Node ID ->MAGNET ACTIVITY: New NAME: Broadcast Technology NUMBER: 223 DESCRIPTION: Discussion of Topics related to audio and video technology as involved in Broadcasting. HOSTS: Mike Callaghan Node ID ->HOTTIPS Page 10 --------------------------------------------------------------------------- SEP RELAYNET INTERNATIONAL MESSAGE EXCHANGE NEWSLETTER 1990 --------------------------------------------------------------------------- Gunnar Reiger Node ID ->PRIZM ACTIVITY: NEW NAME: Clarion NUMBER: 224 DESCRIPTION: The conference is for the discussion on the techniques of the use of Clarion Professional Developer, it's Language Extension Modules, Personal Developer, and other products Clarion produces to support the development of database applications. HOST: John Meroth Node ID ->GODFTHR ACTIVITY: NEW Here are a few changes in our conference host situation. Military (#41) - Deb Allen will now be the conference host at least while Stan King is serving his country in the Middle East. Welcome Deb and thanks for helping us while Stan helps is helping the world. Women (#71) - Kathi Webster is the new co-host in the Women's Open Conference. Kathi will be doing the major work of hosting the conference and we wish her well in her new role here. NUMBER: 225 NAME: DENTAL DESCRIPTION: Discussions of current dental topics. Emphasis on preventive dentistry, cosmetics, computer usage, emerging technology, techniques, and treatment of dental diseases. HOST: Art Brown, D.M.D. Node ID ->DTODAY ACTIVITY: New NUMBER: 226 NAME: IDC DESCRIPTION: Support of the very popular CXL 'C' library among other Innovative Data Concepts software. Supported by IDC itself. HOST: Chip Rabinowitz Node ID ->ROUND Doug Maclean Node ID ->RUNNINGb ACTIVITY: New NUMBER: 227 NAME: Template Language Conf. DESCRIPTION: This conference will discuss topics related to template language products, such as UI2, Stage, Genifer but not limited to only these. In addition, screen painter/code generator programs will also fall into this conference because of the similarities and that usually one migrates from a screen painter to a template language product. All products which fall into this spectrum of productivity tools will be found here. HOST: Robert Kantor Node ID ->DMIBBS ACTIVITY: New Page 11 --------------------------------------------------------------------------- SEP RELAYNET INTERNATIONAL MESSAGE EXCHANGE NEWSLETTER 1990 --------------------------------------------------------------------------- NUMBER 228 NAME: SHEZ DESCRIPTION: Author support of the well known and often used SHEZ program. HOST: Jim Derr ACTIVITY: New +---------------------------------+ | OH CANADA, EH? | | | +---------------------------------+ By Jeff Woods, Node id ->MUSICAL Canadian humour from a guy who can't spell anymore. Take off! Why would you want to move to Canada, eh? Isn't it just like another state? Well, sort of. We don't WANT to be another state, (though you can have Quebec, but they want to be independent). There's this free trade thing. What's free about it? 13.5% federal sales taxes, plus customs brokerage coming IN, but almost nothing coming out, and then they have the nerve to call it "duty." But Canadians never complain. The government should be glad we have what it takes. Another thing is the metric system. Know it. Live by it. In the US you have to transfer mail in megs. Well, in metric, you have to double the US value and add 32. So one meg to you is 34 megs of mail in metric, and then the phone company charges us in metric dollars (plus duty). Here are some other common metric conversions, though: Ten cards = one decacards One ten-trillionth dilly = one picodilly One billion antics = 1 gigantic One millionth fish = 1 microfiche Lastly, two tribes = 1 diatribe, unless you like in Oka, where it equals no golf. Honestly, I can't complain about the taxes here. At least my metric dollars don't go to pay for a $750 million plane that can't fly. It goes to build Canadian naval vessels that can't float. But, Canada did send HALF of it's naval force to the Gulf. If that ship sinks, boy will we be embarrassed. There is also no racism here. All cultural hatred goes to those who were taught to drive by those New York cabbies I wrote about a few months back. That, and the rude obnoxious people at the borders. The Canadian border has replaced the (now torn down) Berlin Wall as the hardest crossing to make. Walking across "the pond" for a Brit would be easier. Which reminds me of a story I heard as told by a comic. He was coming to Canada to do a show. At the border, he's asked where he's from. "I was born in the United States." "What's your business in crossing the border." "I'm a comedian." But the border guy (who speaks Page 12 --------------------------------------------------------------------------- SEP RELAYNET INTERNATIONAL MESSAGE EXCHANGE NEWSLETTER 1990 --------------------------------------------------------------------------- only French, unless you are in Quebec, then they only speak PROPER French, be damned the English speakers) thought he said "I'm a Canadian." After a big go round, he got in. After the show on the way out, the same guy asked him where he was born. The comic started speaking incomprehensible, terrible French indicating he was actually a lost loon from the Midwest. "What are you," he asked, "some kind of comedian?" "No, I said I was from the United States." And the Queen. We do spell "neighbour" and "cheque" differently. I asked Colin what all that was, and he said, "The Queen's English". Of COURSE she is, so why is her picture on the CANADIAN 2 dollar bill?! In any case, it's definitely a different country. It's always 20 degrees here, just like you have heard, and we drive like maniacs, at 60 on residential streets. Money is coloured differently for each denomination, and is most likely printed by the Parker Brothers in Vancouver from its looks. And with that free trade deal, I think we have the answer. The US can become the eleventh province (or the tenth once we kick out Quebec for not wanting to learn English) if one thing were to happen. If you ever saw "Strange Brew," the beer store where they tried the mouse trick does exist. You cannot buy beer unless you are at a beer store, and it comes rolling out this conveyor belt when you order it. All we have to do is set up a giant conveyor belt from the Molson Breweries to the States, and roll down one case of beer for every adult in the states. Two days later we can just walk in, and take control. And why not? It's our duty..... Well, I have back bacon on the grill, and a two-four on ice, so I'll go put on my tongue, eh, and I'll see you next month from the Great White North. Good Day, eh! Now TAKE OFF, you Hoser! P.S. If you really think we talk like that, let us know where the most convenient border crossing is to install that conveyor..... +---------------------------------+ | BEGINNERS CORNER | | | +---------------------------------+ by Jim Daly, Node id ->TREASURE A COMMUNICATIONS PRIMER First things first! It is important to understand that each character and number you send over your Modem is represented by a string of 8 binary Bits which are simply 0's and 1's. The 8 Bits together are called a Byte. A collection of Bytes is called a file. For example: BITS BYTE FILE -------- ---- ---- 01001101 = M | Page 13 --------------------------------------------------------------------------- SEP RELAYNET INTERNATIONAL MESSAGE EXCHANGE NEWSLETTER 1990 --------------------------------------------------------------------------- 01000001 = A |--> MAN 01001110 = N | So, in order for you to send the word "MAN" to another Modem your system needs to send those 3-8 Bit Bytes to your Modem and your Modem then sends them to the Remote Modem. The above example is an ASCII file; meaning that it contains only those characters, numbers, and punctuation marks that make up the ASCII printable Character set from Decimal 32-127. In addition to those ASCII characters from 32-127 those from 0-31 are known as Control characters that perform special functions such as backspacing, tabs, form feeds, etc. These are not printable characters and if they are included in a file to be transferred, the file is known as a BINARY instead of an ASCII file. Having covered the basics of the Data you wish to transmit, let's look at the 2 methods that can be used. PARALLEL TRANSMISSION --------------------- Think about a group of 8 people waiting to get into the It's a Small World exhibit at Disney (remember the 8 Bits mentioned above). If 8 doors are available at the same time, eight people can get into the exhibit at the same time. When 8 lines move at the same time. the lines are said to be parallel. By the same token, if 8 data lines are available simultaneously to transmit data, the transmission is called Parallel. Since the 8 Bits of data are all sent at the same time, each Bit must move along a separate wire. Let's visualize this process by thinking of the ASCII file "MAN" as 3 people named (M)ike, (A)lice, and (N)ick: -------------------------------------------- | < IT'S A SMALL WORLD EXHIBIT > | | | | | | |1| |2| |3| |4| |5| |6| |7| |8| | ---| |--| |--| |--| |--| |--| |--| |--| |--- ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ | | | | | | | | --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- (M)ike = 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 1 =M (A)lice = 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 1 =A (N)ick = 0 1 0 0 1 1 1 0 =N As in any set of circumstances, there are advantages and some disadvantages. Because the Data is sent 8 Bits at a time, Parallel transmission is very fast and is most often used for Computer to Printer applications or very high-speed Links between 2 closely adjacent computers. Page 14 --------------------------------------------------------------------------- SEP RELAYNET INTERNATIONAL MESSAGE EXCHANGE NEWSLETTER 1990 --------------------------------------------------------------------------- Keep in mind, however, that 8 wires are required and the costs for the wiring would be prohibitive over any significant distances. Got the PARALLEL picture? Next month we'll investigate the alternative of SERIAL Transmission. +---------------------------------+ | 'C' TUTOR | | | +---------------------------------+ by Doug Maclean, Node id ->RUNNINGB Continuing with our thread about C++ here is a little demo program to further explore the use of linked lists with C++. This program features operator overloading of = for assignment and ++/-- for incrementation and decrementation. Once again the classes are divided into two, one class for the data and one to control the list. The data class, LinkItem, can be changed with very little alterations in the list commands. I also use various static pointers to keep track of the first, last and current nodes of the list. Unlike the list in last month's we are going to include a delete current node routine. #include #include #include #include class LinkList; class LinkItem { friend class LinkList; private: LinkItem(char *buf); // initialize a node char *str; // data member of class LinkItem *prev; // ptr to previous node LinkItem *next; // ptr to next node }; class LinkList { public: LinkList() {croot = clast = ccurr = NULL;}; void firstnode() {ccurr = croot;}; void lastnode() {ccurr = clast;}; void delnode(); char * operator ()() {return((char *)ccurr->str);}; void operator =(char *buf); int operator --(); int operator ++(); Page 15 --------------------------------------------------------------------------- SEP RELAYNET INTERNATIONAL MESSAGE EXCHANGE NEWSLETTER 1990 --------------------------------------------------------------------------- private: static LinkItem *croot; // always points to the start static LinkItem *clast; // always points to the end static LinkItem *ccurr; // sliding current ptr }; LinkItem::LinkItem(char *buf) { str = new char[strlen(buf)+1]; strcpy(str,buf); prev = NULL; next = NULL; } void LinkList::operator =(char *buf) { LinkItem *pt = new LinkItem(buf); if(clast != NULL) { pt->next = ccurr->next; pt->prev = ccurr; if(ccurr != clast) ccurr->next->prev = pt; else clast = pt; ccurr->next = pt; ccurr = pt; } else croot = clast = ccurr = pt; } int LinkList::operator --() { if(ccurr != croot) { ccurr = ccurr->prev; return 1; } else return 0; } int LinkList::operator ++() { if(ccurr != clast) { ccurr = ccurr->next; return 1; Page 16 --------------------------------------------------------------------------- SEP RELAYNET INTERNATIONAL MESSAGE EXCHANGE NEWSLETTER 1990 --------------------------------------------------------------------------- } else return 0; } void LinkList::delnode() { LinkItem *lst; lst = ccurr; if(ccurr == croot) croot = ccurr->next; if(ccurr == clast) clast = ccurr->prev; if(ccurr->prev != NULL) ccurr->prev->next = ccurr->next; if(ccurr->next != NULL) ccurr->next->prev = ccurr->prev; if(ccurr->next == NULL) ccurr = ccurr->prev; else ccurr = ccurr->next; delete(lst->str); delete(lst); } Now for a little test program to drive this set of classes. #include #include #include "linklist.h" void flist(void); LinkList lst; main() { char buf[25]; for(int i = 0;i<10;i++) { sprintf(buf,"string_%d",i); lst = buf; } cout << "current node\n" << lst() << "\n"; lst--; cout << "previous node\n" << lst() << "\n"; lst--; cout << "previous node\n" << lst() << "\n"; lst++; Page 17 --------------------------------------------------------------------------- SEP RELAYNET INTERNATIONAL MESSAGE EXCHANGE NEWSLETTER 1990 --------------------------------------------------------------------------- cout << "next node\n" << lst() << "\n"; lst.firstnode(); cout << "first node\n" << lst() << "\n"; lst.lastnode(); cout << "last node\n" << lst() << "\n"; cout << "Adding in the middle of the list\n"; lst--; lst = "added in the middle"; cout << "current node\n" << lst() << "\n"; lst--; cout << "previous node\n" << lst() << "\n"; lst++; cout << "next node\n" << lst() << "\n"; lst++; cout << "next node\n" << lst() << "\n"; if(!lst++) cout << "we have reached the end\n"; else { cout << "next node\n" << lst() << "\n"; } cout << "\nThe entire list:\n"; flist(); lst.firstnode(); lst++;lst++;lst++; cout << "current node\n" << lst() << "\n"; lst.delnode(); cout << "\nremoved current node\n"; cout << "\nThe entire list:\n"; flist(); lst.firstnode(); lst.delnode(); cout << "\nremoved first node\n"; cout << "\nThe entire list:\n"; flist(); lst.lastnode(); lst.delnode(); cout << "\nremoved last node\n"; flist(); } void flist() { cout << "\nThe entire list forward:\n"; lst.firstnode(); do cout << lst() << "\n"; while(lst++); cout << "\nThe entire list backward:\n"; Page 18 --------------------------------------------------------------------------- SEP RELAYNET INTERNATIONAL MESSAGE EXCHANGE NEWSLETTER 1990 --------------------------------------------------------------------------- lst.lastnode(); do cout << lst() << "\n"; while(lst--); } We are also starting an exciting new thread on several of my conferences. In the system design conference we are designing a RPN calculator which will be programmed in the OOPs conference. Various other routines for math and perhaps a TSR switch will be added in ASM and some screen and input routines will be added from the CXL package in 'C'. And speaking of CXL, the popular library package has been sold by Mike Smedely to Chip Rabinowitz. I contacted Chip and we will be an official support site for his products. I am currently helping Chip put together a conference of his own to support CXL and his other fine programs. Also in the vein of support, we now have several of the programmers from Solution Systems as regulars in my Brief conference to help out with their behind the scenes tips and advice. For the genetics people I am talking to the folks at the National Institute of Health to provide some interesting topics and help us along there. All in all the coming months promise to be very exciting for all. Regards, Doug +---------------------------------+ | THE LEGAL CORNER | | | +---------------------------------+ by James J. Spinelli, Node ID ->VMC LEGAL ASPECTS OF TELECOMMUNICATIONS AND THE ELECTRONIC BULLETIN BOARD ARENA Part I: The Sysop as Information Resource Manager The easy access, low cost and distributed intelligence of our modern means of communications present us with reasons for hope and for matters of concern. The lack of technical grasp by policy makers and law makers, as well as their propensity to solve problems of conflict, privacy and intellectual property by accustomed bureaucratic routines are the main reasons for concern. But, our commitment to pluralism, individual rights and integrity provide reason for optimism, as do the pliancy and profusion of our electronic technology and of those who provide it. Beginning with Part I of this essay, we are about to embark upon a journey, one that will take us into the forest of computer law. This forest is as interesting as it is elusive; as impressive as it is relatively unknown; as evolving as it is potentially perilous. This forest is filled with many Page 19 --------------------------------------------------------------------------- SEP RELAYNET INTERNATIONAL MESSAGE EXCHANGE NEWSLETTER 1990 --------------------------------------------------------------------------- paths upon which we may traverse. But, only recently have we begun to attempt to determine just where all the paths may potentially lead. Each of us is engaged in an endeavor that has inherent responsibilities, accountabilities and liabilities. Since the introduction of the first commercial computer in the 1950s, we humans have been striving to develop a symbiosis between ourselves and the enigmatic computer. From its embryonic stage to the present time, the computer has presented us with numerous opportunities and ever-expanding ingenious methods for doing things. However, nowhere else has this technological marvel made greater impact in our lives than in the area of communication. When we communicate, we partake in an interchange of ideas, with the objective of being understood and to understand -- we seek a connection between ourselves and others. Microcomputers have had a major impact in this area of connectivity. They bridge the gap between the availability of information and its dissemination. Geography and logistics are no longer constraints in our efforts to "reach out and touch someone." In times past, computer-based communications were typically performed by experienced programmers or very dedicated computer hobbyists who had both the knowledge and tenacity to forge ahead, sometimes armed with only a strong sense of adventure. Today, much has changed. Microcomputers are in the hands of non-experts, ordinary people. Many of these people do not possess the knowledge and understanding of the total scope and potential represented by the very machines they use for business and pleasure. Many of these people take great pleasure in communicating with others through their computers, and they do so readily and frequently, many times completely unaware of the underlying legal consequences involved -- indeed, many don't even care, much to their possible peril. In order to meet both the demand and the need for such prolific communication, computerized information services -- called "information utilities" -- have mushroomed. One of the most pervasive of these is the electronic bulletin board system, or BBS. Many of these information systems are owned and operated by home-computer users. For many of these people, the extent of their computer knowledge is limited to their understanding of BBS operation only. Who and what is this individual who owns and operates the BBS? He is typically referred to as the "systems operator" -- the "sysop." This sysop is more than just a computer operator. He is: - an information broker - a data center manager - an information resource manager As an information broker, the sysop obtains information from a variety of sources, stores it and provides others access to it. He is responsible for Page 20 --------------------------------------------------------------------------- SEP RELAYNET INTERNATIONAL MESSAGE EXCHANGE NEWSLETTER 1990 --------------------------------------------------------------------------- updating the information and for maintaining the hardware and software needed for its storage and its access. As a data center manager, the sysop provides assurances to users that the information, along with the hardware and software used to store and maintain it, are reliable, safe and secure. An additional aspect that should not be ignored in his role as data center manager is that which necessitates his providing for the integrity of not only the service itself, but of all who access it. What the sysop provides is a service -- one that is expected to promote a healthy, moral, constructive, and legal environment from which all users may derive information and enjoyment. Finally, as an information resource manager, the sysop has the underlying commitment to integrate his role of information broker with his role as data center manager. This responsibility deals with the BBS in its totality -- an information system that, as such, combines the hardware, software, information, users and sysop into an integrated whole. In order to adequately fulfill his role, the sysop needs to recognize several aspects of the utility he operates -- in at least a legal sense. The first of these aspects concerns the various methods by which users may access and use the BBS. The first method of access is by invitation. In legal terms, an invitation to participate in a BBS may be defined as an act by which the sysop solicits or incites others to make use of the BBS for the purposes of which the sysop intends. An invitation may also include an inducement to others that provides them with a reasonable belief that the sysop expects them to access the BBS. As the inviter, in legal terms, the sysop owes reasonable care to all of the BBS's lawful visitors. In fulfilling the role as inviter, there are at least three legal concepts that sysops and users need to be aware of. These concepts are: 1. Attractive nuisance doctrine 2. Nature of the invitee 3. Trespass Of course, this brief list is by no means all-inclusive. But, it does represent some of the more important concepts we need to examine. The first of these is the "attractive nuisance doctrine." This doctrine deals with the perception of the BBS as being a source of danger or harm to children. The sysop is under a legal duty to take appropriate precautions to prevent injury or harm to children who the sysop knows can or will access the BBS, or who will be attracted to access the BBS. Consider this doctrine if and when sysops invite others to visit by expressing or implying the availability of pornography or "adult-only" material available on the BBS. One thing to bear in mind here is that it is not the standards of the sysop that will be called upon, but rather the standards of the community in Page 21 --------------------------------------------------------------------------- SEP RELAYNET INTERNATIONAL MESSAGE EXCHANGE NEWSLETTER 1990 --------------------------------------------------------------------------- which the BBS resides and as may be interpreted by the courts, that will define the applicability of the attractive nuisance doctrine for and with a particular BBS, particularly if and when charges of obscenity are involved. The second of the concepts deals with the nature of the invitee. The law defines an invitee [of a BBS] when the following conditions are met: a. the visitor entered by invitation, b. the entry itself is connected with the BBS or connected with what the sysop permits to be conducted on the BBS, and c. both the invitee and the sysop derive a benefit, or just the sysop derives a benefit from the invitation. Legal experts are in basic agreement that if and when a sysop encourages others to access the BBS, particularly if it is intended to further the sysop's own purposes -- as both hobbyist- and business-type systems do -- that the sysop has exercised reasonable care to make the place safe and secure. Bear in mind that if a problem develops, it is not the sysop who will define what "reasonable care" should be, but rather the courts. Our third legal concept in the arena of invitation concerns trespass. Trespass provides for some interesting implications. The courts have interpreted trespass as an unlawful interference with one's person, property, or rights. In view of the BBS, trespass is any unlawful act that damages the system itself, the reputation of the sysop, or the reputation of the user (of course, libel may also result if/when there is defamation involved). The unlawful act may include actual or implied violence, such that the result caused injury or harm to befall a person, a person's property, or a person's relative rights. Our second alternative method for BBS access is what is called the subscription. Many of the concepts that apply to invitation apply also to the subscription approach, with some important differences. A subscription is a contract. The Restatement of the Law of Contracts, section 1, states that, "A contract is a promise or a set of promises for the breach of which the law gives a remedy, or the performance of which the law in some way recognizes a duty." The contract may be an express contract in that both the sysop and the user demonstrate their mutual agreement through words. These words may be either spoken or written. The contract may be an implied-in-fact contract, which is one where both the sysop and the user demonstrate their agreement based on conduct. In many instances, the act of inviting users to access a subscription BBS presents a clear intention on the part of the sysop to contract. The law refers to this as an "invitation to trade." This invitation may be accepted in one of several ways. A common approach is referred to as the "deposited- acceptance rule." Under this rule, an offer is considered accepted the moment the user places his acceptance into the same or better channel of Page 22 --------------------------------------------------------------------------- SEP RELAYNET INTERNATIONAL MESSAGE EXCHANGE NEWSLETTER 1990 --------------------------------------------------------------------------- communication as the sysop used to place the offer. The offer is considered accepted as soon as the acceptance leaves the control of the user. Our third and final BBS access alternative is by license. A license is defined as the permission by a competent authority for someone else to do something, which, without such permission, would be illegal, a trespass, or a tort. This alternative is more concerned with BBS access as defined with a network of systems, though it can also apply to a sysop-user relationship. Under the network approach, a BBS is granted permission to access another BBS system directly, for the purpose defined by the license agreement (or, in RIME's case, for example, by the By-Laws which all sysops have indicated their agreement). Such purposes typically include the transfer and exchange of mail, messages and files. The license agreement typically contains a set of procedures or guidelines that define the framework, boundaries and policies of the network and, in a sense, governs the manner in which the network is operated and accessed. Violations of this agreement by any licensee may serve cause for the administrators of the network to seek various remedies. One area that is as yet somewhat cloudy is the issue of liability as pertains to the effects of malfeasance by one network node on the liability of other network nodes. Questions that remain to be answered include, but are not necessarily limited to: 1. Is the liability of one node assumable by another node? 2. Are there possible or potential class actions that the network and nodes are exposed to? Answers to these questions, though up for debate at this time, may well be addressed and answered by the courts in the future. This completes Part I of our series -- the idea of sysop as an information resource manager. In Part II of this series, next month, we'll take a brief tour of those resources which the sysop is managing, starting with software. +---------------------------------+ | PUZZLE CONTEST! | | | +---------------------------------+ In our never ending quest for fun and games, the RIME Times offers you yet another fabulous contest! This is a word (number?) puzzle that I came across while cleaning out an old brief case. In fact the brief case was so old ... I cannot remember all the answers! The rules are simple: 1) One entry per person. 2) All entries must be ROUTED through the network to John Dodson node ->CANTINA. 3) The person Page 23 --------------------------------------------------------------------------- SEP RELAYNET INTERNATIONAL MESSAGE EXCHANGE NEWSLETTER 1990 --------------------------------------------------------------------------- with the largest number of correct answers AND the earliest date and time stamp on their message (leave those system clocks alone!) wins! What do you win? Besides getting your name *PUBLISHED* in the RIME Times along with your winning entry, you will receive a *FABULOUS* RIME Times honor! Well, I know with THOSE incentives you are really anxious to get started.... so GOOD LUCK! ------ This test does not measure your intelligence, your fluency with words or your mathematical ability. It will however give you some gauge of your flexibility and creativity. Few people can solve more than half the 24 questions on their first try. Many people report getting answers long after the test has been set aside - particularly at unexpected moments when their minds were relaxed. Some reported solving all questions over a period of several days. Take this as your personal challenge. Instructions: Each question below contains the initials of words that will make it correct. Find the missing words. (a. is freebee!) a. 26 = L. of the A. Letters of the Alphabet b. 7 = W. of the A. W. c. 1001 = A. N. d. 12 = S. of the Z. e. 54 = C. in a D. (with the J.) f. 9 = P. in the S. S. g. 88 = P. K. h. 13 = S. on the A. F. i. 32 = D. F. at which W. F. j. 18 = H. on a G. C. k. 90 = D. in a R. A. l. 200 = D. for a P. G. in M. m. 8 = S. on a S. S. n. 3 = B. M. (S. H. T. R.) o. 4 = Q. in a G. p. 24 = H. in a D. q. 1 = W. on a U. r. 5 = D. in a Z. C. s. 57 = H. V. t. 11 = P. on a F. T. u. 1000 = W. that a P. is W. v. 29 = D. in F. in a L. Y. w. 64 = S. on a C. B. x. 40 = D. and N. of the G. F. Page 24 --------------------------------------------------------------------------- SEP RELAYNET INTERNATIONAL MESSAGE EXCHANGE NEWSLETTER 1990 --------------------------------------------------------------------------- +---------------------------------+ | NOTES FROM ADMIN | | | +---------------------------------+ by Bonnie Anthony, Node id ->RUNNINGA The list of files on the nethub is now called ALLFILE.ZIP - it includes all files that are on both Running Board and NetNode - since my board (RUNNINGA) and the nethub are lanned together now, the files are available from either place. The nethub is still a closed system but is now node 1 and node 2 while my board is node 3 and node 4. Node 5 is about to go up (as soon as the telephone company gives me the line) and will be a hub node rather than part of my board. The SC announces the opening of a mini conference - to start Saturday September 8 and end two weeks later - Saturday September 22. The topic to be discussed is what should RelayNet do about its growth - we are currently a little under 550 nodes and we were 200 or so nodes in January - that is a tremendous growth and we show no signs of slowing down. Should we continue to grow? Should we limit growth? If we limit growth how should we go about doing it? MINI Conference is #200. +---------------------------------+ | AS SEEN ON THE BIT STREAM | | | +---------------------------------+ TAGLINE OF THE MONTH: I never thought oil could cause so much friction! (Submitted by Brandon Hayden) WORST TAGLINE OF THE MONTH: Poet of year Andrew "DICE" Clay (As seen on a message from Wayne Horton) THE THREAD THAT LOST CONTROL: "HOPE SPRINGS ETERNAL" (A protracted thread on the difference between contractions and possessive nouns. Suggested by Randy Blackmond.) MALFUNCTION OF THE MONTH: Canada Remote Systems (CRS), Canada's largest BBS with 99 phone lines, files for Bankruptcy. DEVOTED USER OF THE MONTH: Joseph Carnage after being involved in an auto accident, continues to participate in the UPLINK conference from his hospital bed! We wish Joseph a speedy recovery! (Submitted by UPLINK conferece host, Michael Saletnik.) Page 25 --------------------------------------------------------------------------- SEP RELAYNET INTERNATIONAL MESSAGE EXCHANGE NEWSLETTER 1990 --------------------------------------------------------------------------- +---------------------------------+ | NOTICES | | | +---------------------------------+ To make life easier for the editor, the following submission guidelines are suggested: 1) To be included in the current month newsletter all articles must be submitted by the 5th of the month. 2) For short articles, a routed private message in either the COMMON or the ADMIN conference is acceptable. Please address and route to: John Dodson, node ->CANTINA or Ed Lazarowitz, node id ->CAPCON. 3) For long or multiple articles, an ASCII file uploaded directly to my BBS La Cantina! (915)532-0332 HST is preferred. Or if you are a sysop, I will call your BBS to pick up articles. 4) Your name as used on RIME. 5) Your node id if you are a RIME sysop or your "home" board id if you are a RIME user. 6) Any special instructions. Thanks!