°°°°°°Ü °°Ü °°°ÜÜ°°°Ü °°°°°°Ü °°°°°°Ü °°Ü °°°ÜÜ°°°Ü °°°°°°Ü °°°°°°Ü °°Ûß°°Û °°Û °°Û°°Û°°Û °°Ûßßßß ß°°Ûßß °°Û °°Û°°Û°°Û °°Ûßßßß °°Ûßßßß °°°°°Ûß °°Û °°Û ßß°°Û °°°°°Ü °°Û °°Û °°Û ßß°°Û °°°°°Ü °°°°°°Ü °°Ûß°°Ü °°Û °°Û °°Û °°Ûßßß °°Û °°Û °°Û °°Û °°Ûßßß ßßß°°Û °°Û °°Û °°Û °°Û °°Û °°°°°°Ü °°Û °°Û °°Û °°Û °°°°°°Ü °°°°°°Û ßß ßß ßß ßß ßß ßßßßßß ßß ßß ßß ßß ßßßßßß ßßßßßß =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= JUNE RELAYNET INTERNATIONAL MESSAGE EXCHANGE NEWSLETTER 1991 =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= --------------------------------------------------------------------------- Table of Contents --------------------------------------------------------------------------- Article# Subject Author 1 Editors Corner Michael Brunk Node ID ->CSPACE 2 Conference News Dan Deady Node ID ->PGHS 3 Blipverts Mike Gunderloy Node ID ->ALBANY 4 Interview: Frank LaRosa Inez Harrison Node ID ->MOONDOG 5 One Day in the Life of a Sysop! Malia Boaz Node ID ->MWB 6 RIME Rumors Michael Brunk Node ID ->CSPACE 7 Be Your Own Programmer Robert Bogue Node ID ->IBMNET 8 Poetry Corner Inez Harrison Node ID ->MOONDOG 9 RelayNet BBS Highlight 10 Notices -------------------------------------------------------------------------- =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= 1 - EDITORS CORNER by Michael Brunk, Node ID ->CSPACE =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= Is it June already?! Where has the year gone? This issue is a bit late primarily due to problems with my own BBS this last week. I was finally able to wrestle it to a deadlock and it seems to be ok now (knock on wood) allowing me to get to this NEXT project on what seems to be an endless list! This issue is somewhat sparse compared to our last, let's get some articles rolling in people! I'd *LOVE* to get some 'regulars' lined up so if you have ANY kind of idea for a monthly column please drop me a line! And now... on with the show! =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= 2 - CONFERENCE NEWS by Dan Deady, Node ID ->PGHS =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= Official Announcement From The Conference Coordinator: The following Hosting changes are to be noted: 41 MILITARY - Mike Dutton ->MEDINFO 44 WINDOWS - Gregg Hommel ->CRS Bob Malakoff ->PROPC 69 MYSTERY - Edwin Albetski ->NETEAST 73 CUISINE - Howard Karten ->CHANNEL 74 UNIX - Dennis McCunney ->RUNNINGB (this is an interim hosting) 179 STRANGE - Michael Solinas ->PDSSIGI 232 HOME SCHOOLING- Scott Hodgins ->LOCKSOFT The following conference is a new conference on the network: NAME: GRAPHIC BBS NUMBER: 261 DESCRIPTION: This conference is for development of the Graphic BBS package that originally started development in the Pascal Conference. This will also serve as the support conference once the project is complete. HOST: Jason Hills Node ID ->ALPINE ACTIVITY: * NEW * Date: 06/11/91 =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= 3 - BLIPVERTS by Mike Gunderloy, Node ID ->ALBANY =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= [Editor's Note: These reviews are reprinted from FACTSHEET FIVE] CALENDAR MATE v4.0 (Shareware version CALMATE4.ZIP; registration $25 from Hawk Software, PO Box 3961, Regina, SK, S4T 3R9, CANADA): Unlike most other calendar programs, this one is oriented towards printed versions instead of on-screen reminders. It has a full set of features for constructing calendars, including flexible dating ("Fourth Wednesday of every month", for example, or "Tue-Fri") and easy viewing of appointments already set up. But after that you can get daily, monthly and yearly calendars hot off the press, so to speak. Includes laser printer support. Friendly and easy to use. (IBM)[ASP] DAYMASTER v. 3.50 (Shareware version DAYM350A.EXE; registration $20 from Unicorn Software Limited, PO Box 911, Wabash, IN 46692-0911): This is a program designed to be run in your autoexec.bat file once a day. It combines two functions: trivia program and appointment book. Shipped with a database of 2500 historical events, DayMaster also lets you put in your own reminder entries, so your dentist's appointment can share the same screen with Ty Cobb's birthday and the signing of the Declaration of Independence. The display is somewhat minimalistic, but functional. (IBM)[ASP] DISKLIST v. 2.10 (Shareware version DISKLS21.ZIP; registration $25 from Gulf Sierra, 14809 Clavel St., Rockville, MD 20853-1543): This is a slick little utility program to help you keep track of what's on floppy disks. Using either standard character printers or laser printers, it produces a list of what it on a diskette. You can get the final lists sized to 5 1/4" or 3 1/2" disks, get one to six columns of names, get borders or no borders, or get a list of the contents of archive files on the diskette. No muss, no fuss, nice simple interface and it beats the hell out of handwriting your own labels. (IBM)[ASP] EM KLONDIKE, EM PYRAMID and EM POKER SOLITAIRE (Shareware versions KLONDK3.EXE, PYRSOL20.EXE and PYRMID10.EXE; registration $20 each from EM Software, PO Box 2052, Stn. A, Champaign, IL 61825-2052): A trio of excellent card games for use with an EGA monitor and a mouse. (You can use the keyboard but I wouldn't really recommend it). THe graphics here are simply stunning, better than on many VGA games I have seen, and the attention to detail, with undo commands, on-line help, changeable card backs and so on is also great. Very fine implementations of solitaire games that are beautiful to watch as well as fun to play. (IBM)[ASP] INCONTEXT v. 1.00 (Shareware version INCXT100.ZIP; registration $64 from Rams' Island Software, 8 Grand Pl., Newtown, CT 06470): Most DOS shells are not a great advance over the stark beauty of the DOS prompt itself, since they don't add anything to the basic functionality of DOS. InContext is different, being a full-blown implementation of object-oriented operation atop a DOS context. You can select groups of files by extension, and perform extension-specific operations on some or all of them. It moves smoothly between directories, and provides calendar management and a task list, remembering interrupted tasks and staying ready to resume them. There's a full-bodied macro language for designing your own actions or customizing the work environment. Add in the hypertext-based help system and on-disk manual, and the result is a truly flexible and worthwhile environment to work within. A very impressive package. (IBM)[ASP] KEY TO THE MOUSE release A (Shareware version K2ROD.ZIP; registration $20 from Andrew M. Saucci, Jr., 641 Koelbel Ct., Baldwin, NY 11510-3915): This program implements a simple but clever idea to add some mouse control to almost any program. It allows you to use environment variables to define strings for each of the mouse keys to stuff into the keyboard buffer, and to call a particular program while doing so. For example, you can set up your file browser to let the mouse keys move you up and down, or use the left for Escape and the right for Enter in your database. The program is easy to use, leaves memory gracefully when it's finished, and seems to work flawlessly. (IBM)[ASP] PCCLOCK v.2.14 (Shareware version PCCLK214.ZIP; registration $10 from Michael J. Sadaway, Box 128-P, South Walpole, MA 02071): Well, you don't need to worry about getting the right time any more on your PC if you have this program. At the touch of a function key it uses your modem to dial up the National Institute of Standards and Technology (formerly NBS) and grab the time from their atomic clock. The program also includes a built-in digital screenclock, with all sorts of fancy color settings as well as chimes and an alarm. (IBM)[ASP] PERUSE v.1.11 (Freeware version PERUSE1.EXE and PERUSE2.EXE; disk available for $11 from Falk Data Systems, 5322 Rockwood Ct., El Paso, TX 79932-2412): This is a minor update, reflecting mainly polishing to the documentation and on-line help. PERUSE is a file reader, but it's a great one, which can load memory resident, search and print files or pieces of files, work in hex or ASCII, and interact with your mouse. It also supports a pop-up DOS shell, which can be very handy. (IBM)[ASP] PICTURE PUZZLE v.1.2 (Shareware version PPUZZ12.ZIP; registration $17 from Software Creations, 26 Harris St., Clinton, MA 01510): This is quite simply one of the best new games for the PC I have seen come down the pike in a long time. The basic idea is pretty simple: take a picture, scramble it on the screen, and let the user reassemble it by swapping pairs of pieces. Where this program shines is in the attention to detail. You can change the number of puzzle pieces (making the same game suitable for ages 5 to 95), the color of the grid, the sounds, and more. You can use .GIF or .PCX pictures as well as the game's own .PUZ format. You can save puzzles in progress or get on-screen help for those tough pieces. On top of all this, the puzzles the have available are top-notch, with several extra collections also for sale. Dangerously addictive fun. (IBM) THE POOL MANAGER v.2.0 (Shareware version POOL.ZIP; registration $25 from American Systems, PO Box 604, LaGrange, IL 60525-0604): This is a program to let you run your office football pool (or other sports pool, although the NFL roster is built in) without being accused of mopery and dopery or having to learn higher math. It starts out by asking for a schedule and a list of picks, and from there all you have to do is put in the results. It features customizable reports, different options for breaking ties, statistics by the week and by the season, and more. A well-done piece of specialized software. (IBM)[ASP] SWIMBASE v.1.20 (Shareware version SWIMDB12.ZIP; registration $49 from Words to Go, 2710 Apple Way, Dunkirk, MD 20754-9705): A specialized, menu-driven database for those who need to run or keep track of the results of swim meets. It follows the USS (United States Swimming) rules for event names, age groups and scoring. It stores personal data on the swimmers too, so you can print rosters, address lists or mailing labels, as well as reports on the meets. Plus, it's flashy enough that you can probably convince one of the swimmers to do all the work if you're the coach. (IBM)[ASP] WinEdit v. 1.1A (Shareware version WINEDIT.ZIP; registration $59.95 from Wilson WindowWare, 2701 California Ave. SW #212, Seattle, WA 98116): This is a full-featured text editor designed for use with the Windows environment. It is intended mainly as a programmer's editor, supporting files up to 16MB long. It also allows you to proceed through the compile/link cycle from within the editor, calling your external programs and reporting the error messages back, even jumping to the correct line of code to fix them. It is reasonably fast and will hope between multiple open files with ease. About the only problem I had was that some of their icons were too cutesy to be immediately obvious, but there is also a full menu system to get to everything. (IBM)[ASP] WinZip v. 1.00A (Shareware version WINZIP.ZIP; registration $29 from Nico Mak, PO Box 919, Bristol, CT 06011-0919): This is a shell program designed to help run the popular PKZIP/PKUNZIP suite of programs under MicroSoft Windows 3.0. It features an interface that will look familiar to any Windows user, and the ability to add and subtract files from a .ZIP file by just selecting them. It is of course somewhat slower than working from the raw command line, so this program is not for power users, but the occasional user who just needs a few zips once in a while should certainly look into it. Also available is PMZIP, which provides the same functionality for those using OS/2. (IBM)[ASP] =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= 4 - INTERVIEW: FRANK LAROSA - CREATOR OF SEARCHLIGHT BBS SOFTWARE by Inez Harrison, Node ID ->MOONDOG =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= When I was first introduced to Frank LaRosa last year, I smiled and said hello as one does upon meeting a stranger but after learning that he was the brain behind Searchlight Software ("SLBBS") I took more of an interest. So this was the face behind the SLBBS software that I had been seeing everywhere. Frank LaRosa is 25 years old, single, born in Queens, and living StonyBrook. On with the interview! Q: Tell us exactly what SLBBS is and how it all started? Searchlight is a bulletin board program: the software that enables you to turn turn your computer into a BBS system. Searchlight started in 1985. I had just gotten a modem for my TRS-80 (1200 baud was the top speed in those days) and enjoyed it so much, I decided to open my own board. Back then, there wasn't much BBS software you could buy, and what there was, wasn't too impressive in my opinion, so I decided I'd have a go at writing my own program. The first version of Searchlight was written in BASIC and ran on a 48K TRS-80 Model III with two 180K floppy drives. It ran for about 2 years in more or less the same configuration (more floppy drives were added later) until I rewrote the program in Turbo Pascal and switched to a PC in 1987. A few copies of Searchlight were sold to local Sysops in 1987 but it didn't become well known until the first shareware version it was released in '88. The basic concept behind SLBBS is to design a remote bulletin board system that uses the kind of interface you'd expect to find in any modern PC program. Other BBS programs, no matter how sophisticated the are internally, rely on simple line-oriented input and output. Searchlight broke that mold by becoming one of the first systems with built in full screen editing, and the only system with screen oriented option field editing and Lotus 1-2-3 style menu bars. (Searchlight has a UTI driver now which supports PC Relay, as well as FIDOnet.) Q: What was developing SLBBS like and how much time was devoted to it: A: Developing SLBBS required a strong devotion to the product because it took almost a year of programming time before I began to see any income from the product. Fortunately, I had the time and energy necessary to do it. Like most software projects, developing SLBBS is a cycle between writing code and listening to user feedback, comments and bug reports. The unique aspect of writing a BBS program, though, is that the feedback comes in almost instantaneously over my BBS, which allows me to test new features and respond to problems very quickly. Searchlight has consumed the majority of my programming time since I started the IBM version in 1987, and that includes countless midnight-oil sessions. I don't even want to estimate the number of hours I put into Searchlight because if I did, it would probably turn out that I made 37 cents an hour for all that time! Many people don't realize that Searchlight is my full time occupation but it is, and has been for over 2 years. Q: What does it give (in your opinion) that others do not? A: A great user interface including full screen editors, and a powerful conferencing system. Also good support: a company that has a vision and a record for improving our product year after year. You won't have to switch products a year from now because we didn't keep up with the latest developments. Q: I've noticed many new BBS/Sysop's start out using SLBBS. Any insite as to why? A: I think it's a combination of things. For one, Searchlight is very easy to use and install. It's also smaller to download than many other programs, which may attract people who download the shareware copy from BBS, and less expensive to register. I think new users who take the time to compare Searchlight to other products really get an opportunity to see its superior features. Inevitably, anyone who gets involved in bulletin boards tends to favor the first program they encounter, and that may be why those who have used a different BBS program are reluctant to give Searchlight a try. All kinds of Sysops use SLBBS. I think I attract a lot of the younger sysops and hobbyist sysops, probably because of Searchlight's low price It's really too bad that others get the wrong impression of SLBBS from its price tag, because Searchlight equals or surpasses products that cost, in some cases, 5 or 10 times its price. Q: How successful has SLBBS been? A: I've been delighted at its success and at the positive comments I receive from so many users. I started Searchlight Software with basically no money and have built the company up into a successful full time business totally on the strength of Searchlight BBS sales, and in a suprisingly short time. Now I've reached the point where I can begin spending money on advertising and fancy promotional flyers just like the "big boys" do. Searchlight is probably the number 3 product in its class, but it's right to that level over a lot of software that never made it very far. I'm committed to having Searchlight reach the #1 position within 2 years. Not counting unregistered shareware copies, there are currently about 1100 registered Searchlight systems out there. I've sold copies all over the world, including quite a few in Australia and New Zealand. I really enjoy talking with overseas Sysops, it's a great fringe benefit to my job. Q: How did you come up with the name "Searchlight"? A: A lot of people ask me that question, which always suprises me. Searchlight was the name of the school newspaper that a friend and I worked on during our junior and senior years in high school. When we graduated, the paper folded, so we've always considered it "our" paper. A few years later when I started my BBS, it was the first thing that came to mind. Searchlight was actually the name of my BBS itself before it became the name of the BBS software product. I'm really glad I ended up with the name Searchlight because I hate thinking up names for things. In retrospect, Searchlight is really an excellent name for the product. If that name hadn't come to me I might well have called it "Modem Electronic Services System (MESS)" or something equally inane. End of interview I'd like to thank Frank LaRosa for taking the time to share this information with us. Additional information can be obtained directly from Frank LaRosa as follows: Searchlight Software PO Box 640 Stony Brook, NY 11790 Voice 516/751-2966 BBS 516/689-2566 =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= 5 - ONE DAY IN THE LIFE OF A SYSOP! by Malia Boaz, Node ID ->MWB =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= 12:00 A.M. The BBS goes down for automatic maintenance. I have watched it go thru it's paces a zillion times, but today I found a new Door with a nightly maintenance program in it and I needed to be sure that it doesn't hang the system up. It did fine. It was silly of me to stay up and worry. A good 45 minutes of sleep time lost again. 4:15 A.M The BBS goes down for the nightly mail transfer. I have a Telix script that has not caused me a moment's problem. It has been very reliable and mail transfers work like a charm. I have set Telix to "sound on", so that when I am awake and using the program, I can work in the kitchen or laundry room and hear the end of a d/l. I sleep about 50 feet from the computer with 2 doors between the room it resides in and my own, but if it didn't beep, I'd know it in an instant. In my sleep, I hear the first beep, (I think), but the second one is too slow in coming. I better get up and check and make sure everything went according to plan. Darn, it was the second beep I heard, transfer's fine. Look at that, 367 new messages. Wonder if that guy in Maryland resolved his problem with his wife? I sure would like to take a quick peek. 4:34 A.M. Just a quick peek at Men's Issues and I'll hop right back into bed. It was so sad, he is divorced and his wife is moving out of state. He was going to hire an attorney and see if he couldn't get the courts to make her stay. Well look at that 6 personal messages. Since I started using SLMR, I have never been so tickled, I used to have to wade through all the messages to find the ones addressed to me, but now, they are all separated and I can go through them very fast. Here's the one I have been waiting for, the answer to my WP51 problem. Two answers, both say to do something entirely different. Wonder what will happen if I try them? Shouldn't take but 10 minutes at the most. Since getting RIME, my life at work has become alot easier. I used to have to struggle with word processing problems all alone and wading thru some of the docs is like learning a foreign language. Well, this is for work, so it has to be done. If I can get these suggestions to work, it will save me many hours of labor later in the day. 6:05 A.M. Interesting, both suggestions work. Great, will I impress them in the office tomorrow morning. "Tomorrow morning", Heaven's, it's already here. Usually set the alarm for 6:30 a.m., no sense in going back to bed for 15 minutes, cause as sure as I am sit- ting here, it will take me longer than that to just shut my eyes and fall asleep. Oh well, what else is new in the mail packet? That awful person is sending out a prank message..... Can't be a year since I paid my last dues, it was just last .... let me think....just before Spring Week-end, doesn't seem like it, but a year has gone by.....Nothing new from the guy who is gone to Israel for a month, guess he's not back yet. Oh this looks interesting a new Door for RIME TIMES. Says I can d/l it from XXX board. Let's see, it's early enough to still get the discount telephone rates. It's the doors that drive me crazier faster than anything. The users are always clamoring for different and more challenging ones. Last month I spent $80 registering that messaging utility and the door stacker was a big bite but it will pay for itself, easier on the harddrive. Just a quick phone call and I'll d/l and configure that new door. Give them all a surprise when they call today. 8:00 A.M. The docs make it sound so easy, just unzip the file and edit the small .cfg file and it should work. Works great in local mode but why is it not running from remote? Ok, Ok, Malia, calm down, go thru the files one more time, it just is something tiny, something you are overlooking. There it is, a missing "\" . Oh no, going to be late to work one more day. My boss is gonna kill me. How many times can you say "the car wouldn't start" or "the alarm didn't go off". he is going to get on to me yet. Wish I didn't have to go to a job everyday. I love working on the computer right here at home, but never have as yet heard of a BBS that actually MADE money. 10:10 A.M. One quick call home to the BBS. The harddrive sounded a bit slow this morning. I hope that door is not locking up. Busy! Bet it's Mrs. Smith playing Stackem for the hundredth time again. She's home most of the day, why does she always have to call when I need to get on. 10:50 A.M. Something's wrong, it's been busy too long. BBS time is only 30 minutes. She would have had to get off by now. How many times will this auto dialer recycle anyway? I hope no one is trying to FAX in or out this morning. I have had that darn line tied up for the last 45 minutes if not more. One day there is going to be a real emergency here at the office and someone is going to get wise to the fact that I have been modeming at work using the line. 11:55 A.M. Still not able to get through, I'd better sneak home during lunch and see if the board isn't hung up. 12:20 P.M. Better check the mailbox. It's here, it's here, the Time Door I ordered last month! Great, now I can add a new option to the BBS. Bet this won't take 5 minutes to install. Needs a Brun30, let me see, I had a copy of that somewhere, right, it's on the Tape backup, glad I saved it. Ok, so I have to bring the BBS down for a few minutes to get it, but it will be worth it when the new door goes up. I can't believe this, it's working fine, was really just busy the whole time. It's my BBS, you'd think I could get on it once in awhile. Oh well, at least it's OK. 1:15 P.M. Finished, got the Brun30. Forgot how slow those tape backups are, but they sure beat the old way of inserting disks and having to sit right by the machine the whole time. Getting that 210 MG drive was great but I can't imagine backing it up to floppies. Took too long getting the file, I'll have to configure the door later. Better get my buns back to work NOW! 3:45 P.M. I can hardly keep my eyes open. I should have slept last night instead of playing with that new door. Will this day ever end? My family says I am addicted to the computer. They say I never do anything anymore, but I am so tired at the end of the day ! 5:15 P.M. Think I'll stop by the Computer Warehouse tonight on the way home and take a look at that new 386 40Mhz machine. Everyone is raving about it's speed compared to the new 486. Wonder how much it would set me back? I just upgraded 4 months ago to my own 386SX 16Mhz from the old 8088. How come just as soon as I buy something, there is something else newer to replace it with. I really wanted to save for the 9600 baud modem but a grand is alot of money. Someday! 6:45 P.M. 21 calls today, not bad. 432 minutes used. 8 files d/l ed. They eat those things faster than I can find new ones. Just glad there are programmers out there making them everyday. Oh, I missed the phone bill when I was home for lunch, sure hate to open up this baby. $122.16, not that bad, I was worried that those calls I made to California were going to really drive it up, but considering last month's bill, $200 odd dollars, this isn't bad. Better get started now, Time Door waits! 8:35 P.M. "OK, OK, John, I'm coming". Just when I was finally beginning to understand the docs with the new Time door, someone wants to page me. If this guy only knew how to type. Takes him 3 minutes a letter. I could be here for hours. "What? Scan78 IS not on my board. I never posted it, remember the Message I had up about it being a Trojan? I was the one to tell you first. No, I don't want it, don't care, keep it for yourself" Sometimes, I wonder if they have any brains at all. Last week he u/l's me 3 files all dated 85/86. Who even has DOS 2.0 anymore. Primitive files, a waste of my time and his. He d/l's about 15 files a week from off the BBS, bet he is doing the same thing somewhere else, why doesn't he u/l one of those? 10:05 P.M. There, got both RIMENEWS and TIMEDOOR working. What a relief. Thought I'd never get them configured right. Hey, what's this? LivCat!! LivCat!!!. I was sure I checked the spelling on that new Main menu screen. Great!!! 5 different screens and they all have to be corrected. This is murder. I talked with another sysop who always has such tailored screens on his BBS. Wish I had the guts to capture someone else's screens and display them as my own. I be afraid that one day one of them would call me and see what I have done. 11:30 P.M. There, menu screens are done, thank G-d for ANSIIDRAW, I'd hate to have to do this all by hand one letter at a time. Ok, time to hit the sack. Am I ever beat. But it's so close to midnight and the new TIMEDOOR has a routine for the midnight maintenance, just 30 more minutes and I can rest, assured that it cycled thru correctly. BBS is ringing.... Hey, it's Sam, what a great guy, Sam knows everything about Computers, wonder what he thinks about that new 386 40Mhz I saw today, I'll just chat with him awhile until maintenance time. How did this ever happen to me? My lawn hasn't been mowed in 2 weeks, the house is a mess, laundry piled up in the back room. What is a grocery store, I have forgotten what it looks like inside. Too many pizza deliveries, All for the love of a computer. 11:55 P.M. I'll sleep this week end, after I do the backup, compress the drives, pack the message base, update the file folders, read and answer all my messages and clean house! Lord, give me strength! =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= 6 - RIME RUMORS by Michael Brunk, Node ID ->CSPACE =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= [Editors Note: We refuse to be held responsible for the following article. Any resemblence to actual news or factual information is entirely coincidental.] Anyone notice Howard acting a little strangely lately? Reliable sources tell us he's been so relaxed he's seen at his PC sans bowtie. Might this indicate the rumor that he's actually been composing 11-line messages in ANSI color off-line may be true? RIME Times is pleased to reveal that we have determined that there is *NO* truth to the rumor that difficult connections at NetHub have been caused by the relocation of Bonnie's server into the trunk of her car so that she can operate it while on the New Jersey Turnpike. This one turned out to be a false report. Indications are it was leaked by a high-ranked RIME official to throw RT investigators off the REAL story. What are they trying to hide? PCBoard sysops are grumbling about MarkMail these days. Apparently trouble reports have been met with slow responses. Could this have something to do with the giddy grins coming from the Gap BBS camp? Wild speculation is flying concerning the next generation networking software that RelayNet will use. After reading all of the suggestions and specifications being bandied about, an RT expert consultant concluded that the new hub will incorporate a time bending capability and harness the power of a black hole to instantly compress waiting mail. If anyone can do it Kip can! Heard a good rumor lately? Got some info under your pillow you just HAVE to tell someone but have been afraid to? Did you accidently read a message meant for someone else with some REALLY juicy tidbits enclosed? The rumor mongers at RIME Times want to know! Route a message, preferably R/O, to Michael Brunk at Node ID ->CSPACE. =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= 7 - BE YOUR OWN PROGRAMMER by Robert Bouge, Node ID ->IBMNET =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= One of the toughest problems, if not the toughest problem, that a programmer has to face is understanding what it is that the user (you) wants. There is talk in the computer world of the user interface which is nothing more than what you as a user see of the program. It does not deal with the internal workings of the program although it conveys the results to you. This critical piece of work is not the end to understanding your problem nor is it the solution. That is what programmers as a group are charged with. Finding solutions to peoples problems (as they relate to computers) and conveying that solution to the person who needs it. The unfortu- nate circumstance of this is that programmers necessarily need to know a great deal about the problem, often much more than can be easily explained. The explanation of a problem is the weak link. You understand your problem and probably know of a manual method of solving the problem but you need to convey all of the information that you used to come up with the manual method to allow the programmer to come up with a computerized method, or do you? The information you used to make your judgement was probably not just based on the tangible evidence at hand but by years of experience as well. Just as you can't teach one of your employees your experience, you can not teach a programmer your experience. Luckily programmers are very efficient at translating a manual method into a method that can be computerized. If you already have a manual plan for dealing with a particu- lar problem then it would definitely be to your advantage to give that to the programmer you wish to solve your problem, it will make your explanation time much shorter and in general leads to a more accurate solution. I would suggest, however, that the time savings during the programs creation and the greater accuracy of the program should be reason enough to create a manual plan before going to a programmer. (It is very important to test your manual plan to make sure it works or else the program surely won't.) By generating a plan, a set of actions that the programmer can set up within a program you have eliminated most of the interpreta- tion of your explanation. If the plan is detailed enough that a person can do the job then the programmer will be able to translate those actions into a program. More often than not, however, a plan or an explanation is not detailed enough to handle all of the intricacies. For instance, recently I was asked to correct a transaction history report since it reported activity on inactive accounts. The programmer who was initially asked to write the program was not informed to exclude inactive accounts and therefor made no efforts to exclude them. So as you can see subtle problems can not always be detected by examination of a problem from an outside source. Since an outside source can not very often understand all of the intricacies to a problem and has the potential of overlooking something that you would find important why bother giving this task to another person to do? Why don't you learn programming and write your own solutions? There are several answers but a few that spring to mind are... 1. You don't have the time to learn program- ming, let alone create all of the programs you need. 2. 'You always let a tank builder build tanks if you want them to work.' In our case, programmers are trained to write programs and to understand some of the hidden "Gotcha"s of programming. 3. It almost requires a different mind-set that most people are not willing to obtain. So what am I saying? How do you become your own programmer? By eliminating part of the programmers job by providing them with a step-by-step plan for solving the problem. Then you don't need to learn all of the programming languages, and the hardware, etc. All you have to worry about is how would I solve the problem. Solve your own problems, that is what a major part of being a programmer is. =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= 8 - POETRY CORNER by Inez Harrison, Node ID ->MOONDOG =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= [Editors Note: Two poems this month, both dedicated to dad's everywhere!] To Dad As far back as I can remember You were there-- When you came home from work My world lit up with joy--Daddy's home! As I grew, you became my friend I could share my accomplishments with you And you smiled-- You were proud of everything I did As for my sorrows and downfalls You were the shoulder to cry on The rock I climbed to reach the top once more Because of you-- I have the strength to live in the world today Life may not always have been perfect I know you wanted the best for me And you gave everything you could The most important thing is-- You gave me complete and total love And knowing that I can live without your presence You are always in my heart, Dad For as long as I live-- You will never completely die You gave the world--and me--your best And I love you for it --Posted with love and remembrance Teri Brayall A father is, so many things... this much is shale-and-lime, For both are soft, and used a lot and re-main through-out all time. Your steadfast love and wisdom have prepared me for the trials... Which seem to come-and-go with life, In is an honor-to-be your child. By: John Scudder =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= 9 - RELAYNET BBS HIGHLIGHT =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= This month we highlight Directory Assistance BBS, RelayNet Node ID ->DIRASNT. Jim Goodenough, sysop, has had the board online in Santa Rosa, CA since April of 1988. The board is currently using RBBS 17.3B with modifications. It currently supports two remote nodes and one local node using LANtastic. Directory Assistance serves as a support/distribution site for JIMMER, {COMMO} and SHEZ. Latest releases are always available for download. Jim also provides BBS support for the PC Users' Group of the Redwoods. You can reach Directory Assistance at (707)538-8710 HST or (707)538-8780 2400 Baud. =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= 10 - NOTICES =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= The RIME Times staff is now maintaining the newsletter AUTOSEND list. If you are a RelayNet node and would like the newsletter sent to your board automatically each month send a message to Michael Brunk, Node ID ->CSPACE or John Dodson, Node ID ->CANTINA. Please check to see if your hub will AUTOSEND it to avoid duplication. Current listing of Bulletin Board software participating in RelayNet: SpitFire GAP TriTel QuickBBS GT Power Remote Access MajorBBS PCBoard/ProDoor dBBS RBBS EIS Wildcat! UltraBBS To make life easier for the editors, the following submission guidelines are suggested: 1) To be included in the current month newsletter all articles must be submitted by the 5th of the month. 2) A routed private message in either the COMMON is acceptable. Please address and route to: Michael Brunk, Node ID ->CSPACE or John Dodson Node ID ->CANTINA. 3) Your name as used on RIME. 4) Your node id if you are a RIME sysop or your "home" board id if you are a RIME user. 5) Any special instructions. --------------------------------------------------------------------------- The RIME Times is published monthly by the membership of RelayNet International Message Exchange as its official newsletter. Users and Sysops are encouraged to contribute. Submissions and questions may be directed to the editor Michael Brunk, Node ID ->CSPACE. (c)Copyright 1991, The RelayNet International Message Exchange. Permission is hereby granted for unlimited distribution and duplication, provided such distribution and duplication are strictly for non-commercial purposes only. All other rights reserved. RelayNet and RIME are registered trademarks. ---------------------------------------------------------------------------